025 wont start/run

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pcarr4

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi Guys. Starting to cut firewood for next year with a stihl 025. The saw has been running great. Yesterday it wouldnt idle all that great. It would rev up and run fine as long as you didnt let it idle. Today i can't the saw to start or even kick over. I have had no problems with the saw up to today. It still has good compression. Just wondering where i should start to fix the saw. :deadhorse:

I always go for the easiest and obvious first.

Plug, filters, fuel and carby.

If you had old fuel sitting in it for months could be stale, maybe carby idle jet blocked, fuel filter blocked, fuel line leaking etc.

Worst case scenario is pull the carby off and clean it out.

But follow the order above. Oh, and make sure the spark plug is sparking before putting it back in the saw by having it connected to the lead, earthing it against the saw body and pulling the starter cord.

Hey I have an 025 and I had hard starting, no idle etc. I pulled teh carb aparta dn that didn't fix it. Lakeside53 generously fixed that saw for the cost of shipping and parts. See if he will repost and tell you what he did to fix mine, or maybe he said in that old thread on here. I think I titled it"fixing to burn my 025" or something of taht nature. That carb is no fun to rebuild but the idle adjustment isn't too bad. Also be sure to get the right carb kit, that was one reason Lakeside said mine wouldn't run after the rebuild.

Running fine then only running if you keep the RPM up sounds like you have a bad fuel hose or impulse hose.

Check the fuel hoses carefully for cracks or splits especially just above the point where it goes into the fuel tank, and make sure your impulse hose is actually connected up behind the carb...

Thanks guys. I pulled the plug and the carb and cleaned both. The filter in the tank is clean. Put it all back together and still wouldnt start. I threw it in the back of the truck, left it there untill today and it started on first pull. I adjusted the idle and it is running great. Thanks for the help

:cheers:

Latest posts

Back