026/260 - changing pitch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
beelsr

beelsr

ArboristSite Guru
noob question here... :)

how difficult is it to change an 026 from .325 to 3/8? Intuition tells me just changing the rim sprocket would be all i need to do to the powerhead.

reason i ask is because i have an 046mag and want to keep all the bars and chains the same pitch & gauge.

plan to use the saw mainly for limbing and as a place to hang the chainsaw buddy that landed under the tree (if i keep it mounted, or use it at all).

now, just to find one (saw, that is)....

Freakingstang

Freakingstang

Doctor Freakinstein
The rim on the saw, if it has a rim sprocket. it might have a spur if it is an older 026.

other than that, make sure the bar (sprocket nose) is setup for 3/8 and you are good to go....

Kenskip1

Kenskip1

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Beesler,I hate to break this to you but your saw may not have enough omph to spin a 3/8 chain. I realize your situation but their is nothing wrong with a 325 chain. That is all that I use on my 028 and it cut very well.You may be having to use two diferent files, Ken

beelsr

beelsr

ArboristSite Guru
kenskip1@verizo said:
Beesler,I hate to break this to you but your saw may not have enough omph to spin a 3/8 chain.

I've thought about that but I wouldn't be felling with it. I'm 90+% sure I'd be hanging an 16" bar on it. I thought about a 361 but that's too close to the 046 in terms of weight. Plus, when I'm in the manlift, the 046 gets heavy hanging out of the basket - especially when it's a <10" hanger that's getting cut.

kenskip1@verizo said:
You may be having to use two diferent files

Yeah, but I hate stocking 2 sets of stuff for the "same thing". It's bad enough with all the car wheels with different bolt patterns hanging around, cell phone power adapters and headsets, cordless tool batteries, etc... My father-in-law just gave me all his air tools - first thing i did was convert all the connectors from 1/4 to 3/8. It's as bad as working on Ford trucks that are half metric, half SAE... :angry2:

Latest posts