026/260 pro or not?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wagonwheeler

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Just a question. I saw a comment in an old post that the decomp and adj. oiler of the pro is worth the price difference.

Does this apply to non pro use?

Any downside? Decomp valves go bad? Is the 260 that high compression?

I didn't see it as a deciding factor, but I don't have any basis either way. I don't want to get hung up on it unnecessarily.

TIA

Chaser

I think it is worth it. The saw isn't a compression or displacment montser, but it does make starting easier, and supposedly lessens wear on the starting components. As far as the ajustable oiler, you should always have it at max anyway, but it's nice to have it.

I guess decomps can go bad. I remember reading a thread somewhere about a guy's 66 decomp valve falling apart, but I'd consider that rare, and not to be a factor in deciding. Decomps are nice.

I'd say to go for the Pro model. Just my opinion.

Jeff

Essentially same saw. The biggest thing to look for is the adjustable carberator. Don't get one with-out an adjustable high-speed jet.

Bought the non pro, and got terrible pain in my wrist. Bought elastostart handle and it cured/helped my pain. Problematic in trees, you have to throw the saw away from you...
Yes, the compression is very high and sharp on that saw. Not comparable to a husky for some reason.
Also adj oiler is good. The non pro oiler may fit 18 good I guess, but on less bar there is too much spill. When filing your hands will get oiled too ;) At least on the 13" I used. Carry towels...

DirtTroll said:
Essentially same saw. The biggest thing to look for is the adjustable carberator. Don't get one with-out an adjustable high-speed jet.

I would agree with that as they normally are very easy starting saws with 2 or 3 pulls. An elastostart you can easily order and install yourself, the decomp is not that important on a 3.5 hp saw, especially that it has less power than a lawn-mower and starts easier that most lawn-mowers with a Briggs or a tecumseh engine.

Think resale. when you get done with it, a saw that says pro on it versus one that does not in comparable condition will bring as much as 20 % more on the open market. Not saying you will ever sell your new best friend but just in case the time ever come that you have to trade her in on a better model.

Latest posts

Back