026 cylinder/piston in an 024?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dswensen

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Just hypothetically speaking; if one had a replacement jug and piston for an 026, and had access to a straight-gassed 024, would one be able to install the 026 parts onto the 024 carcass as a straight swap-out for the old burned-up 024 jug/piston? The 024 is not (currently) a 024 Super.

Hmmm?

The 024 has shorter stroke than 026, if you have a 024 super you can use 026 P&C. Or put an 026 crank in your normal 024 and use 026 P&C.

Just hypothetically speaking; if one had a replacement jug and piston for an 026, and had access to a straight-gassed 024, would one be able to install the 026 parts onto the 024 carcass as a straight swap-out for the old burned-up 024 jug/piston? The 024 is not (currently) a 024 Super.

Hmmm?

I just recently did exactly that. However more to it than just popping that jug and cylinder on. You will need to change the top cover, the air fliter cover and air filter and possibly the gas tank vent to make everything fit. Also mine was a 024Super, not a early 024. I'm not so sure the early 024's will accept the 026 top end. You should take the serial number to your dealer and let the dealer call Stihl to make sure the crankcase will accept that 026 top end. I know the 024Supers do but I'm not so sure the early ones do.

Thanks!

I just recently did exactly that. However more to it than just popping that jug and cylinder on. You will need to change the top cover, the air fliter cover and air filter and possibly the gas tank vent to make everything fit. Also mine was a 024Super, not a early 024. I'm not so sure the early 024's will accept the 026 top end. You should take the serial number to your dealer and let the dealer call Stihl to make sure the crankcase will accept that 026 top end. I know the 024Supers do but I'm not so sure the early ones do.

Thanks for the fast answer!

Steve is correct...unless its an 024 super you can not just put an 026 top end on it. If you do have an 024 super and want to use the correct 026 filter you need to change to an 026 top cover and filter cover. The only way you'll run into tank vent interference is if you decide you want to put the larger pro (intellicarb) air filter on it. The tall vents found on 024's and early 026's will interfere with this wider filter, but the standard 026 filter won't have any fitment issues.

Hi, i did the swap without changing the top cover and air filter cover. All you need to do is to remove the extra fins on the top of the 026 cylinder.

How did the compression turn out with a long stroke 026 cylinder/piston on the shorter stroke 024?I have an 024s cylinder I would like to put on an 024 non super,I'm thinking of leaving out the base gasket to increase compression a little but just wonder how much compression it will be?

How did the compression turn out with a long stroke 026 cylinder/piston on the shorter stroke 024?I have an 024s cylinder I would like to put on an 024 non super,I'm thinking of leaving out the base gasket to increase compression a little but just wonder how much compression it will be?
As you know the stroke difference is 2mm which is .078". Plus whatever your squish is set to, you'll probably end up with a squish reading of over .10". That's too much to be overcome by a base gasket delete. My guess is that your compression would be way low. The optimal squish on that saw is around .018"- .025".

Latest posts

Back