026 PRO...from pawn shop to mod shop...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihl n Wood

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
A few weeks back I decided to wonder into a local pawn shop to see if they had any decent saws laying about. Most times there typically low end huskys and poulans and maybe a few craftsman's. I've seen a couple Ms 290s in there and once a husky 350. But other than that there not so nice. But on this day there was a dirty looking 026 pro with the heard. I looked it over gave it a few pulls felt good and tight. But it was dirty and looked like it was beat up. But it was just dirty. I took a finger to it ans swiped a bit of dirt away and under it was almost a new saw. They wanted 250 for it but I knew I was walking out of there with it forunder 200. Needless to say I worked it dirty appearance to my advantage. I also had a ported limber in mind. When stuff gets a little big for the 200t I usually tug up my 361. I climb alot of trees that are large and some are smaller. This is where I wanted a good powerful mid sized saw. I got this saw home cleaned it up and its like new! Dumped the fuel out and tried new fuel runs mint! Then I say ok buddy lets give you a shave. And with some help from the guys here at A.S, again thanks to you all. I've got myself a little demon... here we go.....

Tore it down, squish stock was .027" its now sitting at .0175" sweet! Ran it five minutes ago and it was still four stroking at 14,800 so I leaned it out just a bit now sitting over the 15k mark for a few cuts. Runs strong! Revs fast and holds unreal in the cut. I did some lower transfer work as you can see, as well as brought the uppers over to the Max as of pin location. Opened up the intake and exhaust ports. Polished the piston because it was to tight squish wise. As well as opened up the piston windows a bit.... modded the muff and set the intake timing a bit which is new to me so hope I did it right.. here's a few pics....

Color me "jaw-dropped green in envy".....Just tooo much!!!
Just unbelievable a pawn shop let that sweetheart slide through
their fingers...I worked at one many yrs. ago...major error on their part!!

"YA DAWG!!!!!".....(Southern compliment expression)
:cheers:
J2F

Last edited:
Yep, some nice work there! 026s get a LOT of benefit from porting, that saw is a great combination of power and reliability. Mine's been my favorite saw for a few years... it does now have a 346 barking at its heels, though!

Nice looking saw, I bet it runs great after the full spa treatment.:msp_thumbup: I've got to get some porting tools and get to grinding. Did you do all that work with a dremmel, foredom, or something else? Thanks for the pics.

All dremel work indeed, I have yet to spring 6-700 bucks on a real set though its going that way soon. I just have a dremel with the pen attachment for now. I do have the 90 degree head for it as well but it wont go in tight spaces. As for the saw, Its sad to say but the Guy probably paid 100 bucks for it as people in this necks of the woods pawn all sorts of stuff. He said I was the first person to buy anything all day. I've had other 026s in the past but never the pro. I know there pretty much the same but that was before I knew anything about porting! I did port a 034 super a bit ago nd it was alot easier. There's just no room in this saw. The skirts are real limiting as well. You cannot go very wide with the ports. But so far its really woke up. Tomorrow I will fine tune it and see what its really capable of....I have a good size climbing job for this weekend so it will get a workout for sure....

I'm trying to get a video up of my 026 vs 2054 both ported, do I have to post it on you tube first? Its nice and sunny and would be perfect to get a vid up. Any help would be great thanks.

I used a degree wheel on it for the first time, I'm not 110 percent positive I got TDC perfect to start although very very close. I didn't take much off the floor off the intake anyways. I was told to take it to 80 degrees BTDC. Overall this saws running the nuts. It has a ton of compression for a small saw and rips. I cut with it all weekend on a job and it ran perfect. Like I said up until this build I have never used a degree wheel. But I've been researching how to utilize it more. I've had no problems with any builds but there's more power to be brought about using the wheel.

When you go around and get the numbers go backwards and they should be the same if you have tdc exactly right. If that makes sense to you.

Back