026 Pro questions...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How many should I pull? It was at least 4 and less than 10...too many? And I blocked off intake and exhaust, and decomp valve hole, like with the pressure and vac test, I'm supposed to right?

Nope...... Actually your supposed to hold the throttle wide open for a comp test, but it never made a difference on my saws. Maybe 1 less pull. Just pull the plug out and insert the gauge and jerk away.

I'm thinking 1 turn out ain't fat enough on the high jet, but I don't have a clue about things like this. :dizzy:

I have a solution!! Take a video of this thing running and post it. Let's hear the sucker. One of these highly-trained chainsaw ninjas will peg it.

Compression...

Jeez, the four saws I've done my compression tests on, I did all the wrong way! I've been doing it wrong this whole time??? Story of my life...but after three repeated separate tests, I got 120(with minute variation, depending on how hard I pulled) on the third pull, all three times, and 130psi, on the fourth pull, twice, 135 once. I'm offended by my own stupidity...well, I'm still new to the game, so I guess I've got that excuse. I'm thankful you guys have come through, though! I'm gonna take the advice, about recording and posting a vid, after I check outs the youTubes, because the idea came to me when reading your post, AndreTheGiant. I watched bsnellings video a long while back on pressure testing and replacing flywheel seal on none other than the same style 026 Pro I'm toying with. I'm gonna save some face, though, and wait for a verdict on my compression numbers first, then try tuning the carb, one more time, when I get a chance today(I'm watchin my 6 month old boy, while his mommas at work, but by noon or 1, I'm on it!). I'll confess, I've been tuning my carb backwards this whole time too, because the way I was shown, L screw, then LA, then high! Man I shoulda joined this site a year or two, before I did, I havn't seized any pistons yet, but geez misinformation could have been really expensive! Thanks for havin that info in your sig, Sefh, and everybody else that's been helping me out, thank you, I'll get there! Soon!

If you are getting 135 psi max (if gauge is correct) it at least has tired rings.

You can get some Caber rings for not much $$$ or spend a lot on OEM Stihl rings

As I said, can't beat the whole Stihl/Mahle P/C kit for $85 delivered from Brad C.

If you are getting 135 psi max (if gauge is correct) it at least has tired rings.

You can get some Caber rings for not much $$$ or spend a lot on OEM Stihl rings

As I said, can't beat the whole Stihl/Mahle P/C kit for $85 delivered from Brad C.

I would have to agree with the OEM piston and cylinder set. The thing that surprised me though with the 026/036 is how inexpensive the OEM seal/gasket sets are. I was expecting a lot more than they were, and they have the crank seals with them. In all seriousness, you are looking at $100 for a pretty darn near new 026 that you won't wear out anytime soon...

Jason

This is makin' me sad...

so, if 135's low, and that's the best reading I got(between that and 130 was average), I might as well go with the whole new kit, since mine has some wear in the cylider. Diapers and babyfood are the priority right now, even though 85$ shipped for the whole deal is really great! As soon as I can afford it, I guess that's the route I'm goin'. I just wanted all the stuff I've already done to have solved my problem, but the saw is what it is, and makes no apoligies for its problems...I guess I can switch projects, and move to my MS 290, I dropped a trunk on, exploding the case(gas tank). I don't know if it's because it's plastic, and the newer stuff is easier to work on, but I broke it down, and mounted the engine on my new used case in about 30 minutes, and all I need is some of the brake parts, and a lil epoxy, for the top of the outer shroud/handle, and otherwise, I know I can get it running. Thank you, everyone for your help, and when I do buy the kit, I'll update everybody.

good stuff

Permatex also makes a sealer/loctite style threadlocker for high heat situations. I haven't used it yet, but I'm believing it would be good for things threaded that would be exposed to the cylinder/exhaust temps. It doesn't say you can't take things back apart. I'd be interested in feedback.
Steve

http://www.permatex.com/products/Au..._Permatex_High_Temperature_Thread_Sealant.htm

We use the high temp permatex loctite on the header bolts on our derby motors alot and have good luck with them staying tight. They even come off pretty good

Back