026 Pro with hard cold start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huntsman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My 026Pro runs great and starts fine warm but has always required 12-15 pulls cold. The fuel line to the carb is pressurized after the first or second pull. I put on a new carb so I could have an adjustable main jet to go with my bored out muffler and the same problem remains. Dealer says it is the nature of the beast. Has anyone else had this problem and is there a fix or do I live with it and just carry around spare starter parts. Thanks in advance for your reply.

I had a customer come in with one where he said it wouldn't start. It needed a new fuel line. The only way I could start it cold was to give it full throttle with no choke and pull it about 10 times. Once she warmed up it started on the first pull. I called the dealer I knew and he told me the same exact thing, nature of the beast with that model. There must be an explanation but the owner told me the dealer he bought it from couldn't resolve it either. I rebuilt the carb, new boot, everything I could think of. If I tried to start it cold with the choke, she would flood out. Hopefully someone else has a solution, just curious. Kenny

I recently had this problem on an 026 Pro. BUT compression was border line and piston was scored. Sooo being a cheapie, I first put in a new piston and ring set; the slow starting problem remained and the compression was not as good as I wanted. I then replaced that with a new complete top end kit, cylinder and all. Compression was remarkably better. But even though I tinkered with the twin jet carb, repair kit, adjustments, etc it still did not start the way I thought it should.

My problem was I love this older Walbro 194 twin jet carb. But, I pulled that carb out and put in a used, single jet carb that I had taken out of another saw, put one turn CCW on the jet and it cranked right up; its runs and cuts great now. I would never have guessed that this would solve the problem???

So who knows what part of Mother Nature is shinning poorly on your saw today. You try the obvious, then you just try and try till you get it right. Fortunately, as a retiree my time is not on the bosses clock, so I can take as long as necessary to resolve the problems I encounter. Good luck.

Maybe Andy or Tom will come along and give you some expert advice.

My 026Pro runs great and starts fine warm but has always required 12-15 pulls cold. The fuel line to the carb is pressurized after the first or second pull. I put on a new carb so I could have an adjustable main jet to go with my bored out muffler and the same problem remains. Dealer says it is the nature of the beast. Has anyone else had this problem and is there a fix or do I live with it and just carry around spare starter parts. Thanks in advance for your reply.

Usually cold starting problems are lack of fuel delivery. If your carb is set correctly and everything is in order and it still isn't getting a good plentifull shot of fuel to start cold check your choke. If its not closing all the way like it should cold starts can be 12-15 pulls just like your describing. Make sure that choke is closing completely.

12-15 is crazy... and you dealer is wrong... 3-5 maybe...

Choke, impulse, carb settings, then just do a pressure test.. Most common failure point is the flywheel side crank seal.

Yup, the 94 is getting crazy on the cold starts with 15 pulls if I am lucky.
Always one pull when warm. Thanks for the tips!

Pablo-mine is about the same vintage. Thanks for the tips everyone. My carb and fuel line are OK so I guess the next step is the impulse hose and then on to a pressure test. Let us know what you find.

Back