026 Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JWD

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a 026 pro was running fine then it started skipping at full throttle. Idles fine
Any suggestions on problem

We old people around here don't do texts but I guess you can send me a youtube link and I'll listen there. Hint: If you used an oem tank vent you'll have issues with that, it appears that Stihl didn't have a clue of how to vent a tank without it leaking, they tried several versions.
Another thing: Since the 026 is becoming an older saw it might need an ignition coil (module). I usually buy the cheap ones on ebay for around $15. Also, they have carburetors on ebay that cost less than the cost to rebuild, if it comes to that..

Does it "skip" at full throttle when IN the cut & with pressure on it or does it "skip" at full throttle just holding it with no load out of the wood?

We old people around here don't do texts but I guess you can send me a youtube link and I'll listen there. Hint: If you used an oem tank vent you'll have issues with that, it appears that Stihl didn't have a clue of how to vent a tank without it leaking, they tried several versions.
Another thing: Since the 026 is becoming an older saw it might need an ignition coil (module). I usually buy the cheap ones on ebay for around $15. Also, they have carburetors on ebay that cost less than the cost to rebuild, if it comes to that..
View attachment 960899
Does it "skip" at full throttle when IN the cut & with pressure on it or does it "skip" at full throttle just holding it with no load out of the wood?
Yes it skips at full throttle

Yes it surges at full throttle out of wood
I have tried to down load a short video but unfortunately can not.
Send email and I will send you video

In my experience the 026 while a great saw has an issue. Most of the ones I've run across the fuel line isn't long enough. The fuel filters "stand up" instead of lay down. Get below a half a tank and they tend to cut out from fuel starvation depending on your angle of cut. Keep them filled and see if it stops.

In my experience the 026 while a great saw has an issue. Most of the ones I've run across the fuel line isn't long enough. The fuel filters "stand up" instead of lay down. Get below a half a tank and they tend to cut out from fuel starvation depending on your angle of cut. Keep them filled and see if it stops.
Thats the old early 024/026 fuel line. It was updated to a longer one that lays flat. It's a larger diameter where it enters the tank. A 7/16 drill bit is perfect for opening it up.

Thats the old early 024/026 fuel line. It was updated to a longer one that lays flat. It's a larger diameter where it enters the tank. A 7/16 drill bit is perfect for opening it up.
Good to know...

Latest posts

Back