026 vs 028 For First Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello, I noticed that there are a couple 026's for sale in the trading section that are within my price range or just a little more that have shipping already included. Would you guys consider buying a saw that you haven't actually gone and looked at? How do I verify that it's actually all legit? Is there some kind of buyer protection like there is with ebay? Thanks for all of your help!
Courage
If your gonna have just one saw for any length of time, the 026 is not powerful enough . Great saw for tops and pruning your pot plants, but that's it.

Hey guys, I finally got a saw. It's a MS260. I bought from the original owner. He bought it new 6 years ago. He said it still has the original bar on it. The only reason he was selling it is because he can't start it anymore (he's almost 80). I got it for $275. It came with a bar cover, 2 bottles of 2 stroke oil, 1 bottle of bar oil, 3 pretty good chains, and one usable but not good chain, a stihl chainsaw wrench, and a carb rebuild kit. He had recently had the carb rebuilt, and the air filter, ignition, impulse line, fuel line, and a couple other things that I can't think of right now. It has the original cylinder and piston. The compression is really good. It cuts really good too. My one complaint if you could call it that is that the oiler seems to over lubricate the chain. Is there an adjustment on it for that? Do guys think I got a good deal? Do you guys think that the Ms260 is a good saw? I was really looking for a Ms261 or Husky 346xp (I think that is the model you all kept recommending), but after 4 ½ months of looking every day this one seemed like a good buy. Can't wait to hear if all you experts think I got a good saw for a good price!
Courage
20220131_180427.jpg20220131_180435.jpg20220131_180442.jpg

Hey guys, I finally got a saw. It's a MS260. I bought from the original owner. He bought it new 6 years ago. He said it still has the original bar on it. The only reason he was selling it is because he can't start it anymore (he's almost 80). I got it for $275. It came with a bar cover, 2 bottles of 2 stroke oil, 1 bottle of bar oil, 3 pretty good chains, and one usable but not good chain, a stihl chainsaw wrench, and a carb rebuild kit. He had recently had the carb rebuilt, and the air filter, ignition, impulse line, fuel line, and a couple other things that I can't think of right now. It has the original cylinder and piston. The compression is really good. It cuts really good too. My one complaint if you could call it that is that the oiler seems to over lubricate the chain. Is there an adjustment on it for that? Do guys think I got a good deal? Do you guys think that the Ms260 is a good saw? I was really looking for a Ms261 or Husky 346xp (I think that is the model you all kept recommending), but after 4 ½ months of looking every day this one seemed like a good buy. Can't wait to hear if all you experts think I got a good saw for a good price!
Courage
View attachment 962170View attachment 962171View attachment 962172
Looks like clean saw you'll enjoy.

Should be an oiler adjust screw hole on bottom of crankcase. For picture it looks like it has both Hi/Lo for the carb, probably a WT-426.

Might want to pull the muffler and check P/C, open the EPA muffler a bit and retune.

Go to beg for manuals thread and get an IPL and service manual

Great saw. The model before the MS261 and has manual carb.

As noted, oiler is adjustable using screw accessed from the bottom.

If you pull the muffler off, check the spark screen and clean it if necessary.

Learn how to use it safely, sharpen chains, maintain it, etc. Fantastic saw to do all this on. Should last years and years.

In Canada and parts of Europe, you can get a narrow kerf bar/chain that cuts really well. I have this combination on a 261 - and it's great. Article from Sweden (in English): https://www.forestry.com/editorial/test-light-04-pro-chains-stihl/

Enjoy.

The C in stihl 251c chainsaw or any that has the letter c on the end means it has easy start easy to brake recoil if you don't know this because you pull on it like a regular saw just have to pull slow barely pull and if right will fire up on second pull that being choke as first pull they are fun to rebuild parts are easy to find and not a old saw like 2014, to like 2019 or 2021 font quote me on that I mostly rebuild the old,e but gold,e saws The Rubber Duck.

Any one know were I can get hand chain brake for a stihl 028 wb chainsaw need it to finish a rebuild have found and replaced all most every thing but do only oem original factory stihl parts has to same model and serial number as come with saw I keep them original politically correct gets costly but any thing 35 to 50 years old or older deserves it.

Any one know were I can get hand chain brake for a stihl 028 wb chainsaw need it to finish a rebuild have found and replaced all most every thing but do only oem original factory stihl parts has to same model and serial number as come with saw I keep them original politically correct gets costly but any thing 35 to 50 years old or older deserves it.
You need to determine which brake config is on your saw. See
https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/stihl-028-chain-brake-or-no-brake.132057/post-7614383

My understanding that all 028 come with chain brake but it's not the brake that cross each other man super hard to find I even found new clutch shoes spings drum everthing else oem in sealed package but this chain brake holding up my rebuild I thing it's 1979 it's got the 7 digit serial number on crankcase and they switched to 9 digits in 1980 and also I understand only.made the 028 wb and 028 av wood boss 1979 and 1980 then went to 2 differt super models 4 models longest run of saw stihl has ever done this is the 028 av wood boss finally got it done got new clutch shoes and springs yesterday woo hoo build done now to finish the 028 wb .20221218_172506.jpg

Well how is the 260 doing? Congrats on your saw. I have a ms250 and ms362. The 250 is about 1 hp less but similar weight. It's been really good for me. If it ever goes I hope they still have a ms261 to sale.

My first chainsaw I ever got was a ppb4218 poulan pro it cost me 160 dollars it's a 40ish cc saw it lasted me 10 years. If I had known what I know now about chainsaws I'd probably still have it I had to replace the carb once at 8 years and at the time I used ethanol gas. I knew it was going out because it was acting erratic but still ran. I was doing better financially so I bought my ms250. Never heard of husqvarna or echo. Well I killed my poulan fiddling around with the high and low jets not knowing what I was doing (I've since learned). Well I needed a 2nd saw so I bought a pl3314 for $112. Now that pl3314 needed a Lot of carb adjustments to get it running right. but since then it's been running fine I even muffler modded it. 17 inch white oak my stock ms250 cuts it in about 35 seconds. The poulan does it in 42 seconds. The poulan if properly taken care of will last a farmer/homeowner many years and was half the price of my ms250. I almost bought a poulan 5020 instead of my ms250. With 300 and no more I might consider a NEW 5020 poulan. Of the better brands new echo cs400, cs3510(I own), ms250/ 251,ms211 or a husqvarna in that price range. Extra 100 I'd get a cs590.
A poulan PPB4218 (42cc/18”bar) and a poulan 5020 (50cc/20”bar) are manufactured by Husqvarna. When searching for repair or replacement parts virtually all the part numbers begin with 530#### etc. I agree with Hickahollar that if properly taken care of the saw will last you many years. I too have a Stihl ms250. Great 45cc saw. Best budget Stihl homeowners saw on the market in my opinion. I had heard but haven’t confirmed that Stihl is phasing out their ms170 and ms180 soon. I’ve had many poulan or poulan pro and craftsman chainsaws ( Husqvarna) and have repaired and sold them off. 99% of the repairs was fuel related ( fuel lines and carburetor replacement or rebuild from ethanol. I’m surprised that no one has mentioned the Stihl 034 in this thread! Great 56cc saw and easily upgradeable to a 61cc 034super or 036. Plenty of OEM parts available online or from your local Stihl dealer as well as aftermarket. The 034 as well as the ms250 both have excellent power to weight ratios. A good pair for large or small jobs

Thread is from 2021.
He can do plenty of damage with that saw with a sharp chain. He stated 12 inch trees.
Keep in mind the China made husqpoulans and the pro Husqvarna saws made in Sweden are very different.

Well how is the 260 doing? Congrats on your saw. I have a ms250 and ms362. The 250 is about 1 hp less but similar weight. It's been really good for me. If it ever goes I hope they still have a ms261 to sale.
Why look for a ms261? If the ms 250 goes south just rebuild it or recondition it for half the cost of new. Parts for the Stihl ms250 can be had almost anywhere. Used or aftermarket or OEM from your local Stihl dealer. Most saw failures that I have encountered are not the fault of the manufacturer. It appears to be more on how it’s used and maintained.

I worked on an old 028 WB for a friend late last year. First thing I noticed was no internal hardware or mechanicals for a chain brake. The hand guard/flag would move back and forth but wasn’t connected to anything except a strong return spring. The friend said the saw never had a chain brake from the day it was purchased.

Latest posts

Back