026 vs. 346xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SIRCHOPALOT

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
hello fellers!
I love my 026. It cuts like a champ after all the mods I have done to it. matter of fact it will cut with my stock 044 if not better in wood up to 10". Only thing is I'm gettin real sick of cleanin' the air filter everytime I pull the starter rope! (this has got to be the worst airbox design I've ever seen). so I was figuring on getting a 346xp. Question I have is will it cut with the 026 and is the air filter system any better? also does it have quad tranfers or just the two? oh yeah, one of the other things I hate about the stihl is the decomp valve. my goodness if you cant start this saw you probably wouldn't even be able to lift it either.

SIRCHOPALOT said:
hello fellers!
oh yeah, one of the other things I hate about the stihl is the decomp valve. my goodness if you cant start this saw you probably wouldn't even be able to lift it either.

I Look at the Decomp as more of a starter mechanism Saving device. :blob2:

Yes, the air filtration is MUCH better on the 346XP than an 026. Stock power between the two is very similar. DozerDan does a nice job of modifying the 346XP into a real screamer. Only drawback I can think of with the 346XP is the outboard clutch, but that's not a biggie.

TonyM said:
Only drawback I can think of with the 346XP is the outboard clutch, but that's not a biggie.
Don't forget the mickey mouse chain tentioner, what a POS

thanks guys great info. porting is not a problem, I do that myself. what is the problem with the chain tensioner?

I never had any issue with the chain tensioner. I didn't use the saw long, though, and I do remember noting somethin unique about the tensioner, but don't remember what now.

sound like me, half the time I can't remember my own name! btw, tonym keep the info coming, I have read this forum for about a month now and respect your input. noticed that your posts are always good

IMO the positives of the 346 far outweigh the negatives! The 346 possesses the ability to have more speed and power than a 46cc saw should have. Running one for the first time is nothing short of mind blowing. With some of the issues that the 026/260 has ( finicky/sensitive carb adjustments, lack of hi-speed adj. on the newer 260's ) it is not hard to pick the 346 over the 026/260!

I like to cut with the 346, but the filter-to-carb mount on that saw definitely leaves something to be desired....like a half decent seal. The design, especially with that twist-on filter arrangement and even with a metal bail-type spring allows way to much around the filter, air injection or not. Even the 372 will let dust into the carb. The Stihls may not have the centrifuge pre-cleaning of the Husky system, but the filter on a 440 can at least be seated properly.

And btw, I do strongly prefer the 346 to the 260, especially since the 260 went to the nanny carburetor.

would like EHP's info as well. he spits out good info. and yes the carb on the 026 is a real piece of spam as far as I'm concerned.

The 026/260 had for a while used a fixed-high-speed carb, but that's no longer the case for some time now.

Yes. "Nanny" as in nanny government...watching over your shoulder and regulating everything you do. As a mere subject, you can't be trusted with an adjustable carburetor, or anything else for that matter.

SIRCHOPALOT said:
what is the problem with the chain tensioner?

I find the tensioning screw to be too small, but it works fine. You almost need a smaller screwdriver than the one they give you, it barely fits in the slot.

Has anyone else run into 3/8" 60 dl chains being just a bit too big for the 16" Oregon powermatch bars (still loose with tensioner maxed out). I haven't abused the chain and its only about half used. I've found the 59 dl is perfect, but I have to pay a bit more to get them.

Latest posts

Back