028 problems and new 044's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 044 does not have a rev limiter , the carb needs to be tuned correctly to limit its WOT rpm. Check your clutch springs to see if they are stretched allowing the clutch shoes to drag on the clutch drum at idle, that will cause the chain to turn even if the saw is idling below its proper idle rpm.

Saw is clean! Have you pulled muffler and looks at piston/cylinder? I know it runs,but never hurts to look. Post a pic of your findings.

Why do you think you overpaid?
Well I paid 650 plus 30 in shipping... Seems high because the second I was going to buy was around 450.

I'll pull the muffler soon, air filter was clean, not that it means it's good, but it's better than being dirty.

The 044 does not have a rev limiter , the carb needs to be tuned correctly to limit its WOT rpm. Check your clutch springs to see if they are stretched allowing the clutch shoes to drag on the clutch drum at idle, that will cause the chain to turn even if the saw is idling below its proper idle rpm.

To tune it properly I probably need an rpm gage. I was going to have the compression checked and check the vaccum at the dealer.

I'm not sure what to look for on the clutch springs either to tell if they're bad.

They can be safely tuned with a tachometer but that is not the best way to tune them, safe is best when one does not know how to tune an engine under load. The clutch springs need to hold the clutch shoes tightly retracted when the engine is stopped or idling. You would need to remove the bar and chain, the E clip, washer and clutch drum to inspect the springs, it would be very evident if the springs are weak or broken. If you could post a pict of the clutch on here there are a good many that can tell what kind of shape it is in. Have the shop do a vac test first, if it passes then take a look at the clutch.

Compression gauges are very inexpensive and easy to use. I'd look at picking one up if I were you. Harbor freight might have one.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

I've heard the cheap compression gauges can be very inaccurate, but I'm more concerned about the vacuum. That what can fry it, I can tell from pulling the motor and the way it runs its very close to where it needs to be compression wise.

Back