028 super oiler?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Flint Mitch

Flint Mitch

ArboristSite Guru
Is there a way to turn up the chain oil on this saw? It seems like not enough comes out for my liking

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

LoveStihlQuality

LoveStihlQuality

Addicted to ArboristSite
Is there a way to turn up the chain oil on this saw? It seems like not enough comes out for my liking

No, but I have never had issue with 028 oilers. Run the saw some without bar or clutch cover to be sure oil is coming out of hole. Of course check little oil holes in bar and clean bar groove. Then run saw at wot a bit with bar tip down toward light background. Some oil should sling off. There are some threads about modifying stingy oilers, usually on more modern models or drilling out the bar oil holes. What bar are you using?

LoveStihlQuality

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1462108714395.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1462108714395.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 19
Flint Mitch

Flint Mitch

ArboristSite Guru
The original 16" bar that came with it.
It slings oil when I check it on a log. It just doesn't seem like enough. I'm not over heating the bar or anything. Just would like more oil

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

Conquistador3

Conquistador3

Le Comte de Frou Frou
The original 16" bar that came with it.
It slings oil when I check it on a log. It just doesn't seem like enough. I'm not over heating the bar or anything. Just would like more oil

That's a "problem" I have with my 290 as well. Despite a brand new oil pump (the original one had started leaking like the Torrey Canyon) turned all the way to the top it didn't "seem" to oil enough.
Ran all the tests, cleaned the bar twice and learned to live with it. It just uses less oil than you'd expect, that's all.

Flint Mitch

Flint Mitch

ArboristSite Guru
Is there a way I can try to clean the oiling system out? Maybe run bar oil diluted with diesel, or plain engine oil or ATF? Or is this a bad idea??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

LoveStihlQuality

LoveStihlQuality

Addicted to ArboristSite
You can try rinsing out with mixed fuel. Shake and dump.. If some crud on oil pick up filter. How much oil vs gas tank is used? You probably don't have a problem. Slings oil, not overheating. Run it. The more you do, the more you be able to feel and hear if all's well or start of problem.

LoveStihlQuality

Flint Mitch

Flint Mitch

ArboristSite Guru
You can try rinsing out with mixed fuel. Shake and dump.. If some crud on oil pick up filter. How much oil vs gas tank is used? You probably don't have a problem. Slings oil, not overheating. Run it. The more you do, the more you be able to feel and hear if all's well or start of problem.

LoveStihlQuality
It probably goes through a tank of oil for about 3ish tanks of fuel

Latest posts