028 Super Price suggestion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GezelligHomes

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So what do y’all think a fair price of selling a Stihl 028 Super with an 18” bar and chain on it. Good condition, New Carb, filters, lines etc? I thought about putting mine up for sale, I just don’t like it, I would like to get an older 041 Farm Boss.

$200-$250 is what I would get locally for an all-OEM, clean looking 028S.

And you don’t want to sell the 028s to fund the 041. 041 is cool, but it’s an old, heavy, and slow compared to an 028. (Which itself is old, heavy, and slow compared to something made in the last 10 years...)

It doesn't take much to fund an 041 does it? Should be able to pick one up under $150. I agree about keeping both.

I traded a homelite XL12 and a SXL for a pair of 041AV’s. Sold the ugly one for probably $100, the one I kept is mint.

041’s are easy to come by, and they’re built like tanks. $250 for one—even if mint—is not a good deal (my $0.02).

$200-$250 is what I would get locally for an all-OEM, clean looking 028S.

And you don’t want to sell the 028s to fund the 041. 041 is cool, but it’s an old, heavy, and slow compared to an 028. (Which itself is old, heavy, and slow compared to something made in the last 10 years...)

I second that. I don't like to work on an 041, I have one customer that has one and I hate to see him coming into my shop. Tom

So what do y’all think a fair price of selling a Stihl 028 Super with an 18” bar and chain on it. Good condition, New Carb, filters, lines etc? I thought about putting mine up for sale, I just don’t like it, I would like to get an older 041 Farm Boss.

Put a 16” bar on that 028 and you’ll be happier.

I sold a Stihl 028 Super for $180 last month. It runs fine today and the new owner is happy. He wanted a new professional saw with the same power from Stihl, but $600 was more than he wanted to pay. I cannot blame him for that. Here is is, held tight in my sharpening vise last year:
Saw Vise04.jpg
As I look back, I probably should never have sold it. He brought it back one day and said it was not cutting right. He had mounted the chain on backwards.

My 028s are my go to “small” saw. I can’t think of a time I went to cut that I didn’t take one with me.

I have 2. One I bought from original owner and put in a carb kit, fuel, impulse, and new kill switch wires. Still has original seals and they (shockingly) don’t leak.

The other I bought as a parts saw. Full rebuild, caber rings, OEM bearings & seals, etc etc.

Maybe I’ll keep it, and pick up the 041 when I get a little extra money. I’ll tell ya I love my 056S I run a 25” bar and it covers everything I do (Felling), if I have to go any bigger than 25” one of
My close friends, has an 070 running a 48” bar and he has a spare 38” and I think, a 32” if I’m not mistaken. id have to double check.

I bought a good used 028 WB a couple winters back for $180 from a shop. I'd give a bit more for a Super but probably not $250 unless it was in exceptional shape. They are one of my all time favorite saws. I think I have 4 now.

041 is a great old saw too, but I wouldn't get rid of the 028 for one. When you look for the 041, try to find a Super. More power!

Latest posts

Back