028 up and running

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Forsh

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
You might remember that I posted about getting my first ever Stihl a few weeks ago. I bought it as a non-runner with the seller suggesting that a coil was required.

Happy to report that the electrical fault was no more than a trapped switch wire earthing on the crankcase. A little electrical tape and resetting the mixture screws (which the guy has obviously been messin with whilst trying to get it running) and it now fires 1st or 2nd pull.

It's gonna need a new muffler (present one is held together with a piece of DIY welded on plate and a lot of gun gum) and an AV mount to bring it back up to full fitness, but I looked at the piston when I took the muffler off and it looks A1, not a single scratch or mark, maybe brand new?

One question though... I'm not familiar with Stihls, so can you enlighten me? I've noticed that there is a short pipe running from the fuel tank ending up just loose around the back of the air filter. I assume its a tank vent of some sort, but if you turn the saw on its side to take the sprocket cover off fuel just pours out of it. Either this pipe should be onto something or any ideas why its allowing the fuel to leak?

Thanks Dan

That pipe should have a "grub screw" in it. basically a set screw that will allow air to pass but not fuel.

I dont know what a muffler is going for from the dealer or someone on here but here are some on ebay, muffler

u picked a good saw to refurbish ,if the piston an rings are good. may last longer than u. i loved my 028.

Dan I have had mine torn apart for over a month now, this thread is making me want to finally put it back together. I guess I will just have to break down and buy the new cylinder and piston to get her going again.

Back