028WB won’t stay running

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aRBy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
This guy we know just bought a new Husqy and he sold us his old Stihl 028WB for $100.
We were cutting some wood with the Stihl and it was cutting and running fine. After about 30 minutes of cutting the saw just died out and I could not get it running again.
I cleaned the filter and after changing the plug I can get it to start, but it won’t stay running.
To start it with the control lever all the way down first pull the saw burps. Hit the lever up one click and it will fire right up usually on the first or second pull. After adjusting the idle screw it will run, when I knock it out of fast idle.
Now as soon as I touch the throttle it just dies right out.
I have both the high and low adjustment screws backed off 1 1/4 turns from their seats.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

aRBy said:
This guy we know just bought a new Husqy and he sold us his old Stihl 028WB for $100.
We were cutting some wood with the Stihl and it was cutting and running fine. After about 30 minutes of cutting the saw just died out and I could not get it running again.
I cleaned the filter and after changing the plug I can get it to start, but it won’t stay running.
To start it with the control lever all the way down first pull the saw burps. Hit the lever up one click and it will fire right up usually on the first or second pull. After adjusting the idle screw it will run, when I knock it out of fast idle.
Now as soon as I touch the throttle it just dies right out.
I have both the high and low adjustment screws backed off 1 1/4 turns from their seats.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Check your fuel hose real close right under the carb. Sounds like you have a cracked fuel hose. It will run at idle like that but when it needs the gas(when you squeeze that trigger) it dies. Seen many cracked fuel hose's cause the problem your describing. Look for a wet fuel hose under the carb where its bends, thats usually where it cracks from age.

I checked the fuel line and didn’t find any wetness, or any cracks either. However, where the fuel line attaches to the carb, it’s really loose there. Just the slightest touch and the hose will fall right off. And that’s a pretty long fuel inlet nipple too.

I am going to pick up a new fuel hose tomorrow. I couldn’t find any thing today so have to wait for the saw shop to be open.

Thanks again

aRBy said:
I checked the fuel line and didn’t find any wetness, or any cracks either. However, where the fuel line attaches to the carb, it’s really loose there. Just the slightest touch and the hose will fall right off. And that’s a pretty long fuel inlet nipple too.

I am going to pick up a new fuel hose tomorrow. I couldn’t find any thing today so have to wait for the saw shop to be open.

Thanks again
Pull the muffler off and look at the piston.

Simonizer said:
Pull the muffler off and look at the piston.

Now will pulling the muffler help keep the saw running?
I know from there I can check the condition of the piston, but?

Seeing Im right know working on the back of the saw couldn’t I just pull the carb off and look at it from this end? This way Ill also have the carb out of my way. It may be easer to get the new fuel line in to the hole leading to the fuel tank with the carb not there.

Ok Im sorry please forgive me.

I just went to the work bench and pulled the muffler off. The piston & rings look good. I also pulled the plug and looked through there at the top of the piston. Only thing I see up there is one mark an arrow pointing towards the front of the saw.
Also spark arrestor screen is already gone.

Check and clean the tank vent tube. It will have a setscrew threaded down into it and a tiny bit of dirt in one of those threads will cause the tank to not feed the carb and not let the saw throttle up.
Finnbear

Finnbear said:
Check and clean the tank vent tube. It will have a setscrew threaded down into it and a tiny bit of dirt in one of those threads will cause the tank to not feed the carb and not let the saw throttle up.
Finnbear

The easist way to prove this is just take off the vent for a test - half tank of gas only though as it will spill.

Take the fuel pump end cover of the carb and check your inlet screen - it may be blocked with old filter or other debris.

028 w/n stay running

Why would someone pull off the muffler screne if the saw was running good? Let's skip the foreplay and put a new gas filter in this thing. If this does not solve the anomoly, check the impulse line. And after that, a carb kit is in order. Some of the replies here are out of the league.Start at the simplest thing and cheapist thing then go from their. I will catch hell for this post but that is the way it is. Ken

A little about me and also about this saw.

About 5 years we moved in to the country. The land and property used belonged to my wife’s family, and has been in her family for almost 75 years.
We have just short of 63 acres. Our house sits on 2 acres of manicured lawn then behind that we have a 10 acre field. Behind that we have 50 acres of woodland, that’s filled with mostly hard woods oak, hard maple, hickory, Hornbeam (ironwood)...
3 years ago we switch over to primarily heating with wood, and for the last couple years we have been getting all our wood from our own land.
The guy we bought the Stihl from he works with my wife. Since we started getting our own wood he has been coming and helping us every weekend. 2 years ago we bought a McCulloch MS1838. It was just a cheap saw but was working fine. This year when we started to cut he bought the new Husqy to replace the Stihl 028, and we were still using our Mac. Well the first day out the Mac blew the clutch and he gave us the Stihl to use while we were getting the Mac fixed. Last year the old Stihl cut circles around the Mac cutting up 15 cord (by a cord I mean 4’x8’x16”) of Ironwood, hard maple & Hickory.

Now the tank vent is fine. I have the new fuel line and new fuel filter. I just haven’t had a chance to work on the saw. For the last couple days I have been stuck on the tractor.

Thanks again, and after I get the fuel line on I’ll be back.

028 w/n stay running

Arby, Well we have some more unauthorized advice.Points amd condencer? Give me and this member a break. I will admitt that the old 028 had points. But Arby states that it ran after her made an adjustmeent.I will make a bet that if the gas line is not kinked, cracked, or dry rotton that the gas filter is clogged or the screen on the inside of the carb is partially clogged. If it is then put a kit into it and Reset the mixture screws to their origional position. Their may be one more possibility. Water in the gas. Water is heavier than gas as we well educated members are aware that the engine will not dray it up. But this is a remote possibility.
Now I am going to get some bait, my pole and head to the lake. Just kidding! Arrby, their are many wonderful people here on this site. and I my self have learned a lot. I do not agree with all of them but most will attempt to steer you in the proper direction. Keep us posted,
By the way, I spent 15 years in Oneida county.What part of NY are you in?
Ken.

We live in Chautauqua Co., about 50 miles south west of Buffalo.

I will be playing on the tractor for the rest of the week, and will not get to the saw until the week end. If the fuel line and filter don’t help I may just take it to the saw shop, and let more experienced hands work on it.

Back