029/290 muff mod - found the sweetspot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw earlier in the post that the 029 and 031 were the same, just wondering.

029 and 031 are not the same in any way at all. 029, 039, MS290, MS310, and MS390 are the 1127 series. Almost all of their parts interchange. The 031 is much older and a totally different animal.

So if the 029 and 039 use the same muffler, wouldn't the 039 benefit even more from a muffler mod since it is trying to cram more exhaust out the same size holes the 029 is supposedly limited by?

So if the 029 and 039 use the same muffler, wouldn't the 039 benefit even more from a muffler mod since it is trying to cram more exhaust out the same size holes the 029 is supposedly limited by?

I have several mufflers for that series

I've done several different things to the inside of them

DSC_9957.jpg

DSC_0313.jpg

By far the best move I made was to pull the baffle completely out and open the exit port to the same size as the inlet

removing limiter caps

i have a stihl 290 i need to remove the limiter caps from. Any help?

i have a stihl 290 i need to remove the limiter caps from. Any help?

The red caps ?

I use a drill bit just a little smaller than the opening and a drill motor

Use a drill motor with the bit just smaller than the hole run it in till you fill it hit the adjustment screw and back the needle valve all the way out and take off the back side of the plastic limiter; put the needle valve back in till it hits lightly than one turn out is a good starting point to retune it

View attachment 287497

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back