029/290 Problem, Stalls At Idle, Suggestions Anyone - StihlTech??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
stingray bay said:
That excellent advice, I will ask them to forward me their recommendation for warranty cover in writing. It is interesting as there is no (as far as I know) chainsaw emission restrictions in NZ (too many farmers, not enough chainsaws - but the saw probably comes in with std American settings anyway). They have set the saw up really rich for the run in period but said they would reset it next time I take the saw to town. I do have a digital tachometer and could easily tune the H setting accurately to below 10.5k WOT with that, I do have one question is the speed on chainsaws set with the chain and side cover on or off (I do my scrub saws directly off the blade, but it would be easier to do it on the chainsaw off the flywheel).

On the setting with a tach, the issue is not so much having an accurate tool, but when the saw starts to rev limit, it skips sparks and messes with the tach reading. Real easy to get way too lean. If you are using and optical tach, that a different issue so you are on your own. The measurement is done with the bar and chain installed, and preferably the bar length you will be using.

I'd ignore what the book says of fuel ratios if you're milling... but it's your saw.:D As for not mentioning about milling, that doesn't get you off the hook... They also don't say not to cut concrete with it..

Last edited:
Lakeside53 said:
If Stihl NZ is going to recommend 50:1, ask them (in writing) if the warranty will be valid when milling. You'll either get a deafening silence or a "no". On the ratio they are caught between corporate policy and the emission requirements. As to milling in big wood, it's the hardest work a saw can ever do - full power for the entire tank.

Hey Lake, I finally got an answer back from Stihl/The Stihl Agent who sold me the 880!.

They sold me the wrong file guide for the chain (it held the file too high on the tooth) hence the first quote, the second clarifies the mix we were discussing. I did get them to leave the saw really rich (limit stops removed) when they gave it the first service.

So wonders never cease.:D

Regards

Mark

----- Original Message -----
To: denize family
Sent: Friday, August 25, 2006 11:33 AM
Subject: Stihl response

Hi Mark

In response to your queries I have the following information.

File and guide - Stihl have found and are sending a file guide with .404 on it as per the kit we found listed the day you were here. We will swap this over and it will be interesting to see whether this give us the correct depth etc.

Two stroke oil recommendation - as per the service and warranty information given, Stihl will honour the 50:1 recommendation. However as discussed and researched we believe that it is good practice in a milling application to richen this to 40:1. Either way I trust with the quality of Stihl equipment warranty need not be called apon.

We appreciate your continued support and will be in contact soon.

Regards David

I asked the dealer who sold me the saw to contact Stihl and confirm it with them, it took them six weeks but they finally came through, the reply is from the owner of the local Stihl dealership. I am running the saw at 40:1 (std Stihl oil) and haven't noticed any difference in power (plenty:rock:) or smoke (minimal, except at startup).

Latest posts

Back