029 help please?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone ever have a piston look like this that was slapping?

There aren't many things I won't try, but I watched a fellow replace the 029 engine with the 039 kit from bailey's. This guy was doing it as a competition, and new what he was doing, and it took him 48 mins. I am not sure I want to rebuild this thing. I'll talk to him and see what he says. The saw looks really good otherwise.

Thanks for the helpful post Tom!

I had not pulled the muffler yet, but I think it is slapping
DSCF1396_zpsefa06b8f.jpg

Pretty good scratch.
DSCF1400_zps981daf82.jpg
Below the ring looks awesome above the ring looks like is all knarled up. Im gonna say no to the piston slapping due to how good ur piston looks below the ring. But U can't tell the piston slap without pulling the cyl. and piston off and doing some skirt measurements. Looks to me like something (dirt) got in there and mad that gouge.

Wow!!!

All of the cowboys went out the back door, I guess.....

So can anyone elaborate on the removal of the starter assy, and the sprocket off of a "running" 029?

I have to admit, I have never tried it......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

I would be scared to do it.

Could it be something in the muffler or the wire in the oil pump gear. I had a man to give me an 029 several years ago. To look at it there was nothing wrong with it. When I got home I decided to crank it. It cranked on the normal numbers of pulls, but when it cranked the noise was so loud I thought it was going to explode.
I decided that it had to be a crank bearing bad so I completely disassembiled it and could not find anything wrong.
The next time I was at the saw shop I asked the manager if he had any ideas. He said that normally the first thing he would do was remove the clutch. I came home, reassembled the saw, removed the clutch, cranked the saw and it ran find. The wire on the oil drive gear was bend and hitting something or something was hitting it. I replaced the gear and everything was fine. Tom

Interesting. Wouldn't running the saw w/o a clutch cause the saw to vibrate? Similar to starting a mower w/o the blade? I've never tried this and am just curious.
Bob

Well don't ever try it again. The flying clutch shoes could be deadly, you must have started at low idle and just be real lucky.

Well don't ever try it again. The flying clutch shoes could be deadly, you must have started at low idle and just be real lucky.

I did this on a little Homelite XL2 with the s-shaped clutch. Busted up the magnesium cover really badly, thankful it wasn't my hand a couple inches away or worse! :O

Interesting. Wouldn't running the saw w/o a clutch cause the saw to vibrate? Similar to starting a mower w/o the blade? I've never tried this and am just curious.
Bob

No, the problem with trying to start a lawn mower engine is that the blade weight is factored in with the flywheel weight, and the flywheels
on a push mower are aluminum, so to use it in another type of application, you need to get the cast iron flywheel.

Just got an 025 that was revved without the sprocket. The brake band got so hot it melted itself into the case. The clutch springs were stretched so bad, the clutch was ruined. But it didn't come apart. Amazing. Glad I only paid $20 for it...it was a mess to clean up.

When I worked at a dealership in Louisville several years ago, the local Haunted House bought
20 MS170 chainsaws for use in their House, they brought them all back in for servicing in Nov.
as most of them would not start, it turned out that the Stihl dist. authorized over half of them replaced under warranty, the rest had authorized a bunch of warranty dollars.

Putting them into service, the chain, sprocket and clutch/oil drivers were removed.

The other Stihl tech got the job for all of the saws, as there was no hurry. He first did a quick
onceover and then ordered 15 carbs, as the choke and throttle rods had worn through the
throttle and choke arms and were not working properly, not choking fully, and not revving fully.

All of the bar tips were ground flat from constant dragging on the floor. Starter assys. were badly
worn, horrible shape all around.

I tried to talk him out of ordering the carbs, but he did anyway. So when they came in, he started repairing the saws, fixing starters, etc...

The first several saws had the bearing death rattle/roar, so he finally went and talked to the boss, and he called the dist rep.

When the rep came in and spent most of the day there, on the phone with Stihl, etc..

After lunch I heard that they were sending 12 new saws and authorizing repairs on the rest. I
pulled the rep aside and asked if he knew what these saws were put through.

There is nothing on the pto side, the saws are started and revved at screaming rpms until each group passes by, then shut off and waiting for the next group, all day long for a month or so, hundred or so times a day, they held up pretty well, considering the abuse.

The MS170 has no carb adjustments to richen up, to try to slow the rpms.
I didn't work there long enough to find out what the next Halloween brought....

Back