029 help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qbilder

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have an older 029 that has a new problem. It blew off the gas tank vent tube and now i'm losing all of my fuel. Now it sprays the fuel out of the nipple at max throttle. I took the vent off of another saw but it blew it off, too. For some reason, it's pressurizing the fuel tank but only at max throttle. Anybody have an idea what is going on? My other saw (390) doesn't do it. Granted the 029 is old but until now has been a wonderful and dependable saw. Still seems to have plenty power & revs up full RPM, just makes a mess doing it. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

You would get more help posting over on the chainsaw forum.

Wish I could help, but I don't have any experience with Stihls.

I think I got it fixed. Old timer over at the saw shop put a set screw into the end of a short piece of fuel line and had me use that as a tank vent. I didn't think it would breathe enough but he was certain. Turns out he was right. Saw runs great & didn't splash a drop of fuel all day. I cut a burly box elder, quartered the burls up into slabs, cut a standing dead oak for a live edge mantle, cut up a load of firewood for an elderly couple here in town, then took down a dead plum tree in my yard, piece by piece. Simply put, the saw had a workout yesterday. The old fellow was right on and I learned something.

I wish I knew you had an old 029; I recently gave mine away (bought it in 1999) because it needed a new clutch and bearings ( at the least). I didn't use it much at all because I had bought pro saws. My numb-nut employee (now ex-employee) "fixed it" and in doing so, left the bearings on the bench where they went unnoticed.

I would have sent it to you for the cost of shipping, but instead just left it with the saw shop and they gave it to the HS small engine repair program.

Latest posts

Back