029 Re-Assembly Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delano1981

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am in the process of rebuilding a Stihl 029. I have searched all of the threads and have found alot of great info and tips. But I have a question about re-assembling the engine. Is it better to bolt the pan and cylinder back together while the engine is out and let the sealant cure, then carefully remove the engine bolts and put the engine back in and reinstall the bolts? Or is it better to install the engine right away and let the sealant cure with it installed?

Thank you,

Delano

I've done several and have had no problems with bolting it all in place and letting the sealant cure while I reassemble everything else on the saw.

I leave the pan in the cradle, and assemble the engine in place. There are several schools of thought on this. I rarely remove that rear bar stud, unless it is loose.

I have done it both ways. I prefer to remove the stud and pull the pan out. It's easier to handle as a complete unit when reinstalling it.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I already have the bar stud removed and the pan out, so I'll probably bolt it all together before I install it in the case and let it cure first.

Thanks again

Back