stihl 029 cylinder base bolts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wardog

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Just to let folks know up front this is the first chainsaw we have taken apart to TRY to repair. It is actually my cousins Stihl 029 that blew the plug out of the cylinder several times and totally stripped out the threads. I am in the process of replacing the cylinder and piston but curious as to what actual size is the tool for removing the bolts from the cylinder pan? I believe they arer D6x52 size but not sure as to the wrench used to remove and then tighten them. We got them all but one removed with what we had which I believe was a T27 torx bit BUT the bit snapped in the head and we could NOT get it out. I am interested in knowing what tool is the correct one and if it is a torx head is it a special hardened one? As I stated we broke what he had and my cousin thought he'd just throw the saw away but I said I'd try my luck on rebuilding the saw for cheap as a backup. I do NOT want to snap off another bit as one cannot drill them out nor can the bold be drilled as it seemed harder than a rock even when trying hardened drill bits. Ended up cutting the plastic away from it to remove the cylinder and buying a used engine mount and tanks.

Latest posts

Back