Re-building a 272 with a Titanikel 52mm top end

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I have heard mixed reports on the carbs. For me I haven't been burned (yet) but I haven't used a ton of them so fingers crossed I have a decent one. (we'll see)

I have the plastic ring compressor set, but honestly because I've found most things that I've taken apart don't need it. In this case, with the single ring, I was able to just use my fingers to compress the ring and slip the cylinder on.

Got the intake back on (this time with the boot in place)
PXL_20230120_233949405.MP.jpgPXL_20230120_235210068.MP.jpg
got the coil on and tested. We got spark!
PXL_20230120_233546899.MP.jpg

After testing for spark I put the clutch back on, added a new bar adjustment screw and checked that the top cover would fit (it does)
PXL_20230121_001759960.MP.jpgPXL_20230121_001822304.MP.jpg

Then on to cleaning up the starter cover. Pretty filthy, diesel bath and while not perfect it isn't terrible. The OEM handle has a big chunck out of it so while I was in here I added a new bit of starter rope and aftermarket handle (not as nice as OEM, we'll see how it does)

PXL_20230121_002235381.MP.jpgPXL_20230121_002544988.MP.jpgPXL_20230121_002921941.MP.jpgPXL_20230121_005523141.MP.jpg

The sticker was in pretty rough shape prior to the diesel bath, I elected to just take it off

PXL_20230121_010714832.MP.jpgPXL_20230121_010746130.MP.jpg
I've got a farmertec top handle for it, was thinking about a full wrap, but this will be a way to have a testable saw.

PXL_20230121_011400722.MP.jpgPXL_20230121_011432268.MP.jpg

Thats about as far as I've gotten tonight, still have a couple more nuts and bolts to source and have to rebuild the brake on the clutch cover. (more to come on that if I have the right parts)

Thats about as far as I've gotten tonight, still have a couple more nuts and bolts to source and have to rebuild the brake on the clutch cover. (more to come on that if I have the right parts)
I see you made it past the coil of doom alright;) my saw seems to have the exact same gouging on it where the chain came off numerous times in it’s early history.

When I first got my saw those filters were near impossible to find(or at least for me they were) Sometime maybe 4 years ago or less they started popping up and I was excited. I still have the original Husqvarna air filter, but these generic ones seem to work great and it better shape. They wash out quite well.

Your getting closer. It’s a great feeling.

What screws did you use for top cover. Mine were a mixture when I got it, and had to drill and tap slightly larger, I didn’t go large enough and I need to probably helicoil and then go back to original? If I can find what they were and order them maybe?

Yep, OEM Coil on it and sparked, so it should at least fire.

I figure that not every saw can be a shelf queen and as long as it's not draining bar oil out that side of the case, doesn't have air leaks and the chain tightens we should be ok.

To be honest at this point I forget when I started pulling parts together, so the specifics of where I found out about that filter are murky. I know I had done research for a bit, ordered parts then life happened and I dropped the project for a bit. But now that I've picked things back up... I'm curious how it'll work.

The screws came with the cover actually. they're oem and haven't fallen out yet (as near as I can tell)
Looked up and picked a IPL here: https://www.hlsproparts.com/v/vspfiles/downloadables/IPL-272XP_2016-08.pdf
looks like you need this: https://www.hlsproparts.com/searchresults.asp?Search=503+20+32-28&Submit=

Yep, OEM Coil on it and sparked, so it should at least fire.

I figure that not every saw can be a shelf queen and as long as it's not draining bar oil out that side of the case, doesn't have air leaks and the chain tightens we should be ok.

To be honest at this point I forget when I started pulling parts together, so the specifics of where I found out about that filter are murky. I know I had done research for a bit, ordered parts then life happened and I dropped the project for a bit. But now that I've picked things back up... I'm curious how it'll work.

The screws came with the cover actually. they're oem and haven't fallen out yet (as near as I can tell)
Looked up and picked a IPL here: https://www.hlsproparts.com/v/vspfiles/downloadables/IPL-272XP_2016-08.pdf
looks like you need this: https://www.hlsproparts.com/searchresults.asp?Search=503+20+32-28&Submit=
Your awesome thanks for doing that!

Got into the clutch cover last night. I thought I had all the parts but found the aftermarket brake band I had is incorrect, digging into the IPL I identified the one I needed and have a new one on the way (and while I was there, ordered the chain catcher you linked earlier in this thread)

But that didn't stop me from getting the saw fired up! Seems to idle well and restarted without much issue. (haven't figured out how to upload videos on this site yet)

I have to run a few errands today so will have to continue my heat cycle and shake down later on but making progress!

Although it fired up (I didn't let it run that long) I forgot to check the squish. So, now that I've got things back together, we'll have to see what the final squish numbers are with the 1184 in place.

new chain catcher showed up (gotta look through my spare bolts for another one to hold the dog on (seems to have gone missing)
PXL_20230124_022055074.MP.jpg

Double checked the squish: .0245 (ish)
PXL_20230126_022504968.MP.jpg

And the brake band showed up. It appears to work, but I have some addtional work to get the spring tension correct

PXL_20230126_021715622.MP.jpgPXL_20230126_021721781.MP.jpgPXL_20230126_022945640.PORTRAIT.jpg

Next up I'll need to do some more heat cycling

This is coming along well.

Can you explain what you mean by heat cycling? Why are you doing it? Thanks

Gabriel
Sorry I thought I had responded to this but it appears I forgot to hit “Post Reply”

Heat cycling (at least to me) is essentially running the saw in short increments (say 15-30 minutes) to heat up the piston, cylinder and help bed in and seat the ring. Letting things cool off and do it again for a tank or two.

This lets you check things over and make sure bolts are tight, check the piston out and see if there are any issues with the build (e.g. Pull the muffler after a tank and check to see if there are any scores visible on the piston or cylinder wall, are there any leaks, etc)

Basically do a shakedown of it before you go all out.
Looks great !
Ernie
Thanks!

Sorry I thought I had responded to this but it appears I forgot to hit “Post Reply”

Heat cycling (at least to me) is essentially running the saw in short increments (say 15-30 minutes) to heat up the piston, cylinder and help bed in and seat the ring. Letting things cool off and do it again for a tank or two.

This lets you check things over and make sure bolts are tight, check the piston out and see if there are any issues with the build (e.g. Pull the muffler after a tank and check to see if there are any scores visible on the piston or cylinder wall, are there any leaks, etc)

Basically do a shakedown of it before you go all out.

Thanks!
I see. That makes sense

Back