029 to 039... IS this a New Aftermarket 49mm P&C????????????????????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Baileys will soon be selling a 039/MS390 engine. It will be sold as a complete sealed engine. I should have one in my hands for review shortly. I will give a report on it when I do.

What is the cost of a full engine going to look like??? any hints from Bailey's on that???

I'll let Baileys make that announcement. All I can say at this point, is that the price is very attractive.

Seems like it'll need to be pretty competitive with the recently available 039 aftermarket top end or doesn't make much sense at all.
Who'd buy a whole engine when just a top end upgrade to a toasted 029 turns it into an 039, or an aftermarket top end replacement fixes a toasted 039?

Poge

Last edited:
Offering a Stihl replacement engine?

from what i know it's considered a non-OEM aftermarket engine... That being said STIHL isn't putting their name on it and can't really stop baileys from making an aftermarket part for these saws.

Dang Brad... your quick on the draw this morning! we both go in at 9:09! LOL!

There's nothing new about aftermarket chainsaw parts. They've been selling them for years.

I obviously realize that Mr. Messiah, sir -- Mr. overstater of the absolutley obvious, sir. It just seems like an entire assembly, oh, I dunno, like an entire engine would fall into a slightly different category than a component or part.

Please forgive my ignorance and for simply being curious.

Sheesh.

Poge

I obviously realize that Mr. Messiah, sir -- Mr. overstater of the absolutley obvious, sir. It just seems like an entire assembly, oh, I dunno, like an entire engine would fall into a slightly different category than a component or part.

Please forgive my ignorance and for simply being curious.

Sheesh.

Poge

Go back to bed, get up on other side:) Sorry I ruffled your feathers.

Go back to bed, get up on other side:) Sorry I ruffled your feathers.

I simply asked a question. Got a question back in return as a result.

Perhaps you would be so kind as to offer an answer???

And if I would have gotten up on the other side of the bed, I probably woulda left out the "sir" and gone a whole different route....in the true spirit of the Season, of course.

Smooth hijack, btw.

Last edited:
I have not really noticed that any of the aftermarket sources sell the complete block, but I doubt that it is because of any patent/copyright
reasons, just economical reasons.
When I first started selling the MS290s, I actually sold the piston/cyl. seperate frome the crankshaft, bearings and seals, but the pistons
had so many dings and scratches from the factory assembly, that no one would accept them on e-bay.

At the time, I was working at a Stihl dealership, and I got the first ones taken care of under warranty, but explaining why I had to replace
a piston in a brand new saw was getting awkward........

Ok. So really. Seriously. Like I was to begin with...

What's the loophole that allows production and sale of an entire (presumably patented?) engine assembly as an aftermarket "part"
of one of the world's most renowned and oldest chainsaw manufacturers by a vendor like Bailey's?

And doesn't Stihl even get an attitude over copyright violations of their Shop Manuals and IPL's -- hence the anonymity aspect in the Beg thread???

I can understand a top end and certain parts, but always did wonder about the recoil assemblies and sprocket covers offered by Bailey's -- even though they aren't badged.

Poge

Speaking of Bailey's knock-off parts, are the "Stihl" recoil assemblies worth using? And are the innards interchangeable with an OEM cover? Need one for an 066 project, but don't want to put junk on it.

And fwiw, I DO plan on trying one of the 039 top end assemblies after I catch back up from the holiday $$$ meltdown and get the
rest of the "029-in-a-box" parts sorted out to see what else it'll need.

Poge

I finally received a hard copy of the Service Repair Manual for the MS290-390 saws. I did not feel comfortable disassembling a clam shell saw (my first time) without instructions and torque values. Now I'm waiting for a flywheel knockoff tool from a Stihl Dealer.

Maybe I can have the 390 torn down by next weekend so I can see how bad the cylinder is. Maybe I won't need a kit at all.

An ebay seller is asking $190 for a Stihl MS390 P&C kit with Decomp or $250 for a complete Stihl engine, now $120 for the new OEM P&C kit, or (maybe sometime soon) a new engine kit from Bailey's.

Funny how there was one option for Stihl 49mm top-end repair (full dealer price) a month ago and now there are several.

I finally received a hard copy of the Service Repair Manual for the MS290-390 saws. I did not feel comfortable disassembling a clam shell saw (my first time) without instructions and torque values. Now I'm waiting for a flywheel knockoff tool from a Stihl Dealer.

Maybe I can have the 390 torn down by next weekend so I can see how bad the cylinder is. Maybe I won't need a kit at all.

An ebay seller is asking $190 for a Stihl MS390 P&C kit with Decomp or $250 for a complete Stihl engine, now $120 for the new OEM P&C kit, or (maybe sometime soon) a new engine kit from Bailey's.

Funny how there was one option for Stihl 49mm top-end repair (full dealer price) a month ago and now there are several.

Baileys will soon be selling a 039/MS390 engine. It will be sold as a complete sealed engine. I should have one in my hands for review shortly. I will give a report on it when I do.

Hang tight on getting parts. Lets see what Baileys has to offer soon. They've been working on this for some time now and it must be close to the quality they expect if they are sending Brad a Demo Unit.

Stihl 039, MS390 cylinder piston assembly 49mm

Decompression valve fits Stihl / Partner / Husqvarna / Makita

Stihl 029, 039, MS290, MS310, MS390 carburetor Apparently 029/Super/MS390 jetting is the same, orifice wise

Bailey's Short Block: Bailey's - NWP 49mm Short Block Cylinder for Stihl Chainsaws 029 039 MS290 MS310 MS390

Now, do you want the proven 'woods' and 'hot saw' porting, pipe and exhaust tuner ('woods' porting) specs., too?...

Remember, the bottom end architecture and lower pan casting of this saw may not handle the harmonics generated from a more over square design-ie-bore to stroke ratio in conjunction with port work. The more over square you are, the higher you'll want to spin the engine to get the SIGNIFICANT power gain over stock B/S. It's all about swept volume, piston speed, and volumetric efficiency (VE).

Last edited:
Back