031 electrical

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomdcoker

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have an 031 that has electrical problems. It will crank on one pull warm and idle o.k.. When you open it up it begins to miss. I put a spark tester in line between the plug and line from module and you could see that it was firing only part of the time. I have checked the points (condition and spacing). I have checked for loose wires, bad connections and the switch. Any help would be appreciated. Tom P. S. I set the legs on the coil with a .010 business card.

If you have a good coil an after market module off ebay for $17 would eliminate your points and condenser,and take care of timing .Easy to install. I mounted mine on top in front of the spark plug on an 032 and it has worked very well with no problems.

I have several of the electronic modules and have used them before successively, but did not want to use one if there was a simple solution to this problem. Thanks For the reply. Tom

Thanks for the quick response. I think I remember reading in a post that a condenser is a condenser. What I am asking is will any good condenser that I can get to fit in the available space work. Thanks Tom

The correct condenser is part number 1118 404 3400 - lists for $22.

Sure, you can use "any" condenser SO LONG as it's the right capacitance (0.22ufd I think) and rated for points (voltage and construction).

If you put on an electronic trigger unit, you are supposed to change the flywheel. The 031 is one of the few where the timing is different between the electronic version and the points version. You 'll find several posts from guys saying it works fine with the old flywheel, but you be about 10-15 degrees off.

module

The cure for the incorrect timing in an 031 is to switch the wires at the module. The coil is reverse polarity on this model. The instructions with the module usually point this out.
I quit replacing points and condensors at least 10 years ago. The modules are much more reliable.

For the 031, the module will set on top of the coil. If there is a metal piece with the new module, bend it to fit. If not, there is a Stihl bracket that will work.

I have replaced the points with a module on one 031 and it worked great (sold it to a former pastor who has a lawn service and he uses it regally). I have three 031s and one has a scored piston. I am trying to get two good saws from the three. One of them is electronic and I thought it was factory (maybe not). The three saws have the same flywheel part #1216 610 032 although one is different from the other two ( 79'''''''''80''''''''''81). These marks are on the inside of the wheel. Thanks Tom

stihltech said:
The cure for the incorrect timing in an 031 is to switch the wires at the module. The coil is reverse polarity on this model. The instructions with the module usually point this out.
I quit replacing points and condensors at least 10 years ago. The modules are much more reliable.

For the 031, the module will set on top of the coil. If there is a metal piece with the new module, bend it to fit. If not, there is a Stihl bracket that will work.

I see some change with the reversing polarity, but find it doesn't bring the timing back completely. All you are doing is changing which magnet edge it triggers from. If I don't have the right flywheel, I just take out the woodruff key and move the flywheel to the position the factory Electronic version uses.

Last edited:
tomdcoker said:
I have replaced the points with a module on one 031 and it worked great (sold it to a former pastor who has a lawn service and he uses it regally). I have three 031s and one has a scored piston. I am trying to get two good saws from the three. One of them is electronic and I thought it was factory (maybe not). The three saws have the same flywheel part #1216 610 032 although one is different from the other two ( 79'''''''''80''''''''''81). These marks are on the inside of the wheel. Thanks Tom

The numbers on the older flywheels often aren't a good guide to the actual part number. The numbers are cast before the flywheel is machined. The best way to ID them is to look at the position of the Key relative to the magnets.

The factory trigger module is a fat rectangular metal can. Most likely has a stihl logo and/or part number on it.

Back