031 stihl bar sizes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

climber96

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
i have a 031 with a 3/8 20" inch bar is that the biggest an 031 will handle???? just wondering

I have a 390 that has a 20" on it and I used a 25" a few times. I feel mine at 20" is the best setup for my useage.

Although you can mount a 25 on that 031 I wouldn't go bigger than 20". Your 031 would actually be happier turning a 18".

its pulled a 20" all its life (My dads saw ) unitl he gave it to me it pulls great even when buried in a piece of oak

With a full skip AND sharp cutters you may pull it off with a 25".

I have an 18 on mine and like to lean on her, just to mess with her, give some stress, you know , get those old girls nice and hot-- don't spoil em, been around too long to get a lot of love.....- and I think she likes it!!!!

SHORTEST GUIDE BAR SUPPLIED:
35cm (14 in.)
LONGEST GUIDE BAR SUPPLIED:
50cm (20 in.)

With these older saws people tend to forget how big the motor is, the 031 is only 48cc's. And would be best with a 16 or 18" bars but I've seen them come in for service with 24" bars on them.

I might run it on it occasionally but I wouldn't make a habit of it, especially in hardwood.

With these older saws people tend to forget how big the motor is, the 031 is only 48cc's. And would be best with a 16 or 18" bars but I've seen them come in for service with 24" bars on them.

It's tough to tell someone to run smaller but it is a 48cc so 18" would be the max I would run on it. If you have been happy with the way 20" cuts just keep those teeth sharp and run with it, don't go bigger.

I've got an 18" on my 032. It isn't running yet, but I am thinking of getting a 16" and give that a whirl.

Well, you can do what you want, but back when the 031AV came out, we sold all of them wih a 16" bar. If someone wanted a saw with a 20" bar, we sold them an 041. Of course in those days there were no sprocket nose bars, but only hard nose. I don't recall an 18" bar in those days. I suspect that an 18" bar in sprocket nose would be good for the 031 which is about 50cc or so.

Bob

Latest posts

Back