032 Stihl Carb Crapshoot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WPLK

Reaction score
I have a Stihl 032 AV that just can’t get to idle correctly. I recently cleaned the Carburetor and replaced gaskets and diaphragms, adjusted height of the control lever, put it all back together and reset idle needles. It ran beautifully for about two tanks of gas. It would fire on second pull, idled correctly and preformed perfectly while cutting. The carb is a TILLOTSON Hu 51.
It then reverted to its previous problem of not idling properly. One can keep it running of you stay on the throttle, and feather it thought the initial tendency to die out. Can keep it running closer to idle if the choke is partially closed.

So I have checked that the: Fuel filter and line is clean and in good shape. Spark screen is clear, air filter clean, spark plug is good, tank is venting properly.

I have taken the carb off several more times, just to look and see if anything changed, and will put it back on and it will run and sometimes even idle just perfect, but will shortly loose its ability to maintain a steady idle and will stall.
Would appreciate any advice

I would look at the impulse line next. If ok check seals with a vac/pressure test. Faulty crank seals often act this way.

Back