034 piston failure

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe25DA

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have a couple 034 saws complete but not running. I grabbed this because it’s the most complete. Didn’t look too bad thru the port, had some very light scratches so I pulled it apart. The jug has a couple good scratches that are thru the chrome. A small piece of the piston skirt broke at some point and did its damage. The top of the piston is jagged so it or pieces of it made it up too before they went through the exhaust, no pieces in the crank or elsewhere.81E1ADD9-C92B-49FD-9E16-E8CF35B49563.jpeg7B04BC6E-1B57-4049-9224-39988E532D8A.jpegimage.jpg

When I was production cutting I often ran cylinders much worse than yours, just cleaned up all the transfer and sanded any ridges down flat. A new or undamaged piston and good rings the saw would run until I could find new parts for them. When the crank was running over 10,000 rpm the engine still cut plenty of wood.

When I was production cutting I often ran cylinders much worse than yours, just cleaned up all the transfer and sanded any ridges down flat. A new or undamaged piston and good rings the saw would run until I could find new parts for them. When the crank was running over 10,000 rpm the engine still cut plenty of wood.
The damage isn’t too bad considering a 1/4” piece of piston was bouncing around in there. I’d clean it up and run it, wasn’t sure about that broken skirt. Sand it smooth?

The damage isn’t too bad considering a 1/4” piece of piston was bouncing around in there. I’d clean it up and run it, wasn’t sure about that broken skirt. Sand it smooth?
I would not use the old piston, a new Meteor would be good enough if you can`t find a OEM one. Clean up the cylinder really well first.

Here’s my “new” 034. Older one but the internals are perfect. It’s tore down and ready to be cleanedView attachment 1057822View attachment 1057823
It's too bad that people let their saws get that dirty. I get several in my little shop to repair, hardly ever get one that has been kept clean..
I guess everybody knows that you can turn an 034 into an 036 with little trouble..

When I ported my 036 PRO it responded with the most gains of any of the Stihl lineup I have owned to date. I did have a nice 034 but I gave it away as I never got around to using it.

I have another 034, 036 and a 361 with a smashed handle in the shed loft. Having a basket case 034 on hand won’t hurt. I get a lot of saws, and I guess they fall in 3 categories: well kept, used but properly maintained and relatively clean. Dirty, rarely cleaned but basic maintenance done and the saw is in good mechanical condition. Never cleaned, worn/broken isolators, cracked covers, missing/failed air filters etc.

The saw I run the most these days is a 362 reg. carbed saw, the spring AV is easier on old hands.

I have a 362C that I used a bit day before yesterday. New square chain. It's a sawing SOB. Runs higher RPM than I would ever tune one. But, if it pukes I have $50 in it.
I have had several stock 036's that I rebuilt and sold. I don't think any would compete with this 362C .

I have a 362C that I used a bit day before yesterday. New square chain. It's a sawing SOB. Runs higher RPM than I would ever tune one. But, if it pukes I have $50 in it.
I have had several stock 036's that I rebuilt and sold. I don't think any would compete with this 362C .
I run the tar out my 362 carb saw.

I'm buying 034 jugs because as of now the piston are not available anywhere but cheap AM. Meteor no longer sells them. The OEM stock has dried up. I'm using these for climbing saws and finding pistons has been a challenge. Have one made is the plan or keep looking for OEM. Buying new 036/360 kits is no longer cost effective from Stihl. All my 034 jugs are KS but one. These things go very good all setup and ported. Stock ones seems slow except the 034S. It outruns a 360P with ease.

PM me if anyone has any OEM pistons or cylinders to sell in 46mm.

Latest posts

Back