034 surging

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well the backstory on this was it was given to me, melted down.

I cleaned up the p&c, went through carb, ran it for a while(same issues but for the most part could tune it fat enough)

Replaced crank bearings and seals, no luck.

Tried an eBay Zama carb, no change if not worse.

Saw hasn't been my #1 priority but I mess with it here and there when I get the time.

But yes, the way it runs feels like a fuel starvation issue more than an air leak/lean condition to me

*I thought I had replaced the pickup, guess not. All these saws are making me a bit fuzzy.

Pulled tank vent, no change.

Had a pickup sitting on the shelf, installed it, went to pull it over and the whole center of the recoil tore out of the cover.

Battle continues.

Well I *think* I've got this thing fixed.

Got the new farmertec recoil(mag/aluminum?) and installed it. New farmertec pickup line/filter.

Ran perfect.

Old pickup seems just fine but maybe it was collapsing or partially blocked?

Either way , this saw is likely my new go to. Still Glad I went through and changed crank bearings and seals (oem stihl parts)

Ended up with a very decent saw for not much $

Thanks to everyone who chimed in!

I'll get the chain sharpened up and take a few clips.

I did try a 036 huztl kit last yr, piston grenaded shortly after.

Went back to the scored up oem 034 top end and it runs plenty strong. Base gasket delete helped that lost compression :)

Cleaned up, sharp, ready to cut

Attachments

• IMG_2001.JPG
    IMG_2001.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2002.JPG
    IMG_2002.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2004.JPG
    IMG_2004.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 12
They are frogskinz vents for snowmobiles. Like fine mesh material with adhesive edges.

Someone else on this forum used them.

I put some on this and my Jonsered 670.

Can't say if I've noticed any difference though. Figure it can't hurt.

They are frogskinz vents for snowmobiles. Like fine mesh material with adhesive edges. Someone else on this forum used them. I put some on this and my Jonsered 670.

Can't say if I've noticed any difference though. Figure it can't hurt.
Hmmm... I checked my Stihl 064 and it has L and R side vents on the carb/filter housing. These are missing on the MS 660, my 046 Mag, and the rest of the collection. My 064 is the strongest saw that I own and a brute to start.

Back