036 crank seals, special tool needed?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butch(OH)

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Can the crank seals be removed in a 036 without the special puller listed in the manual? I have a variaty of seal pullers for other applications and some experiance doing such work. I figgure the installation is straight forward since I have a lathe to make drivers etc. I dont want to end up taking tha saw to the dealer in a box either, rather just pay him to do it.

The special Stihl puller is nice, but expensive. Most other pullers won't work, not sure exactly what you have though.

You can drill a small hole in the seal, be careful not to go into the bearings. Then take a small screw and screw that into the hole, again, not going too deep. Should be able to pull it out that way.

Tom

Your biggest problem will be with the seal under the flywheel.... Very hard to get out without the correct tool, and you can damage the magnesium casing. Take it all to pieces, then go to your stihl dealer and pay them to just removed the seals. If you're lucky, they might not charge, but if they do, it's worth it. BTW, you'll need to get them to removed the flywheel also... hammers and screwdrivers are not the way to do it.

I needed a regular "puller" to get the flywheel off. Drilled a very small hole in the seal. Took an ice pick and plucked the seal out. Then used a 'socket' slightly larger than the seal to tap the new one back in place. Saw runs beautifully. My dealer is 175 miles away; figured I could always take it in if I screwed it up. But, if you don't have the tools to get the flywheel off, I'd take it to the dealer for all of it.

The special tool to remove the flywheel is always available on ebay for about 20 bucks. Fits most stihl saws. It will not fit the current 066/MS660 with poly flywheel, but will fit the older 066 with metal flywheel. It also fits from there down to at least the 026.

The new 066 with poly flywheel and the 084/088 need a different puller which is also available on ebay almost always.

Check cheapstihlparts or cbaileybg on ebay and you'll find them.

Tom

Thanks for all the suggestions. Now I may not have to ge into it that far. The saw was giving indications of air leakage but when I started to take it down I found that the atmoshere side of the carb diaphram was completely filled with dust, no way it could be working the fuel needle properly. Cleaned it out and seems to be OK but nothing big laying around the shop to cut.

Latest posts

Back