036 Pro revving in cut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woody912

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Temp was about 8 degrees this morning, one of my 036 Pro's would start picking up rpm's about 10 seconds into every cut, spent much of the morning worried about an air leak somewhere. This is the first saw I ever put a p/c on and I think I may have the high needle just about maxed out to be on the safe side. Temporarily just too rich a mixture or do I need to start looking for a problem? I switched saws repeatedly thru the day out of concern but it never had a problem other than the change in sound

A list of culprits include fuel filter, weak clutch, crack in fuel line, loose fuel line connection, bad oil seal, bad crankcase bearing, crack in carb boot, carb mount gasket, loose carb, bad carb kit, bad carb....
I'd start with the filter end of the fuel system and go from there.

What do you mean by "high needle just about maxed out"?

To the rev limiter. Actually, I suspect that saw has a weak or broken clutch spring as the chain really does not want to stop. Going to my brothers shop tomorrow to borrow the impact. Did not make the connection this morning but starting to make sense now, thought cut was a little slow this morning but attributed it to frozen wood. Thanks to all!

To the rev limiter. Actually, I suspect that saw has a weak or broken clutch spring as the chain really does not want to stop. Going to my brothers shop tomorrow to borrow the impact. Did not make the connection this morning but starting to make sense now, thought cut was a little slow this morning but attributed it to frozen wood. Thanks to all!

036 does not have a Rev limiter?

If it's picking up in RPM after getting warm? I'd be looking for a leak.

I would think the OP is referring to carb limiters. I would suggest checking the fuel tank vent and opening the winter vent on the top cover.

Start simple, with the simple stuff first then go full tilt.

If it revs out only when the chain hits the wood, bearings and seals is likely. Lots of 036s need new rubber all the way around. Lots need bearings. Clutch springs, very possible as well as an air leak.

Before replacing the clutch springs make sure that where the spring passes through the clutch shoes is still round, if elongated new shoes and springs.

I would think the OP is referring to carb limiters. I would suggest checking the fuel tank vent and opening the winter vent on the top cover.

Start simple, with the simple stuff first then go full tilt.

If it revs out only when the chain hits the wood, bearings and seals is likely. Lots of 036s need new rubber all the way around. Lots need bearings. Clutch springs, very possible as well as an air leak.

Before replacing the clutch springs make sure that where the spring passes through the clutch shoes is still round, if elongated new shoes and springs.

yes, carb limiters. Lost crank bearings in that saw about 5 yrs ago so lower end got rebuilt by a dealer. Burnt piston a yr later which I never did figure out, I put Meteor p/c on it myself and have run it a great deal since that time but have always ran it to the rich side because I do not trust my own work. Hopefully get to see the clutch later this afternoon before grandsons basketball game

036 does not have a Rev limiter?

If it's picking up in RPM after getting warm? I'd be looking for a leak.

Wasn't very clear, I was referring to the amount of revolution on the high needle on the carb. Took firewood to an older neighbor, drug out another log, fed 11 yr old and a 9 month old, attended basketball game and changed a diaper and did homework. Chainsaw did not get touched. Stuff happens some days!

Wasn't very clear, I was referring to the amount of revolution on the high needle on the carb. Took firewood to an older neighbor, drug out another log, fed 11 yr old and a 9 month old, attended basketball game and changed a diaper and did homework. Chainsaw did not get touched. Stuff happens some days!

Well, I took the clutch drum off today and gave it a real good cleaning and seemed to solve both my problems. When in doubt Occam's Razor is usually a good start. And now I am thinking the peanut oil I have been running on the bar/chain might be a contributing factor since it congeals around 36 degrees F

Latest posts

Back