038 av super brought back to life

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wintermute

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Well, decided to get myself a real saw a while back and this forum was very helpful in the selection process. Found an 38 av super on cl for 360 and went to check it out last weekend. Was dirty as hell on the outside, muffer was shot, idle wanted to race, but cylinder walls were spotless and compression is right about 143 with 3 pulls. Bought it and brought her home.
New 32" bar and chain (had a seriously beat up 18" on it), cleaned it all up, put a new muffler on it, new air filter, disassembled, cleaned, and retune the carb, and it's alive and kickin. Definitely more of a handful than my ms290 farm boss. Also ordered a new carb for it (Tillotson he19) to replace the now clean hk43a if I want to.

I think I have the bug now. I ordered in a Baileys short block for my 290 a day ago ;).

I'll post a picture of the 038 here in a little bit.

--Wintermute

Dang, that's a good looking saw. I sold one two years ago. The new owner still loves it. As I look back, I kind of wish it was still on board. That thing cut like gangbusters.

It was a little older than yours. No chain brake and made in West Germany. Regardless, these are classic saws. I added outside bumper spikes and lined up the pins with the inside spikes:

So, I think I'm going to fully disassemble this 038 just for the heck of it (and because I have my own machine shop and can't leave anything well enough alone when it comes to machinery). Current plan is to deglaze the cylinder with a flex hone, remove all the carbon from the piston, and deburr and polish the intake and exhaust (no widening or duration/height change). I'll do a photo step by step for the process. Also will do a step by step of the Baileys short block swap on my ms290...possibly also a youtube video for both as well.

--Wintermute

Dang, that's a good looking saw. I sold one two years ago. The new owner still loves it. As I look back, I kind of wish it was still on board. That thing cut like gangbusters.

It was a little older than yours. No chain brake and made in West Germany. Regardless, these are classic saws. I added outside bumper spikes and lined up the pins with the inside spikes:
His tag says "Made In West Germany" as well.

His tag says "Made In West Germany" as well.
I stand corrected. I was sure that the chain brakes came in after West Germany became Germany again. About he only tough thing I had to do with mine before I sold it was to replace the impulse hose. That required removing the tank housing. No big deal, just time consuming. The old impulse line had cracked on the end and was causing erratic running behavior and loss of power. Once replaced, the saw ran like the day it was bought.

Already did cuts with the 32" bar. Sharp chain and the saw didn't struggle in the least. Couldn't slow it down if I tried and beautiful chips the whole time. It has power to spare for the 32" bar.

20160424_171316.jpg
20160424_171324.jpg

--Wintermute

STIHL actually lists the 32" bar at the upper end of the saws oiling capacity. So it shouldn't be a problem.

Back