038 Super AV

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

X Man

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I own a 038 Super AV, which I bought new in 1986. Recently, I started having trouble getting proper lubrication to the chain. The local dealer has worked on it several times, including replaceing the oil pump, but the problem persists. The only thing I have done, is to to check the strainer in the oil tank and check the bar hole for trash.. I also ran the saw, without the bar on it, to see how much oil is coming out of the hole (not much). When the saw is used at dark, you can see sparks flying off the bar. Prior to all this, I would start the saw, then run the rpm up, with the tip of the bar about 2 inches off of a tree trunk. In about 10 seconds, an oil line would appear. Now, there is practically nothing, and the oil adjustment on the bottom of the saw, has zero effect on the oil flow.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Take the bar and chain off drain the bar oil and put diesel in the tank let it sit for about a hour then start the saw and and let it run for a while and you will see the oil flow start to get better after a few minutes The passage has got gummed up over the years Good Luck

Back