039 against 390

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New 390 from a dealer around my area is ~ $529 and comes with a warranty and pack of Stihl synthetic mix.

thanks alot guys. i might try and get it anyways and use it to trade on a 38 super. the guy said it was almost new not ran much but he wanted 300 for it. just might trade it for a saw i really need. dont sound like this saw is a very good repair saw since they made the guts in the plastic case, what a stupid idea.

...and I was just looking at a 390 for a good price on Craigslist!! I think I may hold out for a 044 now!
Rich

I never said the 390 was a turd. I just built one for a member here. With just a muffler mod it was pulling very well, even better after some port work. It's fine for a guy to use for a firewood or farm saw. I just don't think I would want one for tree service or heavy and or daily use. If I come across a good deal on a 390/039 I would buy it and run the snot out of it. :msp_thumbup:

To my knowledge, there have been no failures of any of the plastic clamshell designed saws due to being housed in a plastic case. They're just as durable, if not more so, than a magnesium cased saw. Mag saws crack easier when dropped. The plastic cased ones have more flexibility. The clamshell design makes it easier to replace bearings and crank. Mag cases require "splitting" the case. Takes longer. I wouldn't let the plastic part deter me from using it, just the added power the 044/440 brings to the job and the easier to rebuild top end.

why is it that no onelike em, pulling the cases apart. to me it seems like its just as easy to rebuild then 1 that you dont have to split the case on, everyone seems to frown on splitting the case to rebuild them

Cause it's a bigger pain and requires a new case gasket ($), whereas the clamshell only requires a bit of high temp RTV? It is more time consuming to split a case.

This is the video of Jon1212's 390 just before I sent it back to him. It's running pretty dang good for a overweight plastic clamshell saw if you ask me. :laugh:

[video=youtube;grhCLVhqnrU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grhCLVhqnrU[/video]

no wonder our government has no money. they make crap that dont last. germany, is very rich and has the stihl company which makes billions. why couldnt the usa come out with something like that. only thing we have is harleys. dam germans. :bowdown:

id say thats about it, but is the american people make them or foreighn people make them here in america for us.

Back