039-Broken Oil Feed Nipple

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cedarshark

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have an 039 that is torn down due to the oil nipple on the frame that the oil pump elbow slides on, is broken off. No way for the pump to get oil to the chain. The nipple and "o" ring are cast into the frame. I bought the incomplete saw at a garage sale as a parts saw for my 390, but discovered the engine was in good condition, piston and cylinder in great shape. So, I decide to rebuild the saw, order the missing parts, and discover the saw has the broken nipple. I found a used frame for a reasonable costs and I am ready to go together with the saw.

Question: I pulled the engine with the lower cap still attached with the sealant holding the cap on. Can I re-install the motor if I don't break the seal ? or should I go ahead and pull the cap, clean every thing and reseal ? The cap appears to be undisturbed....but with the bolts out, I am unsure that it may have "unseated" the seal.

I did do a compression test on the saw before tearing it down and it is pushing about 160 psi.

Its all up to you, if you are sure the bottom cap never did move & won't move when you
torque it into the new case.

I can't stand going back in again for something I should/could have replaced or
resealed during assembly the first time...like new seals & fresh Motoseal sealant

Its all up to you, if you are sure the bottom cap never moved.

I can't stand going back in again for something I should/could have replaced or
resealed during assembly the first time...like new seals & fresh Motoseal sealant

Although I will never know for sure, based on the condition of the piston & cylinder, I think the PO rebuilt the saw and in the process of reassembly, broke the nipple off the case trying to get the oil pump back on the saw and realized he now needed a new case. He gave up and started pulling parts off. I also noted the cap has been resealed with something other than Dirko. It is white...not red. I have a set of new seals and a tube of Dirko. I will pull the motor apart and reseal just to be sure. Thanks for your help.

Back