041 AV Crank Differences?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brmorgan

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Yesterday I decided to tear my 041AV and 041AV Super right down to the nuts and bolts, so I could build a "best" one with the Super topend, and a second one with the regular topend and all the second-rate parts. They have both been used hard and are less than perfect; even the best one won't have 100% intact parts. Anyway I'm basically swapping the topends between the two cases, and one problem I've run into is that the smooth PTO portion of the cranks on the two are different lengths - on the better one, the threaded portion is longer, so that when the clutch is threaded down tight it pinches the clutch drum against the oiler before it can reach the seat on the crank. This saw had the clutch removed when I got it and I've never run it. Is there supposed to be some bushing or spacer for these shorter cranks? Because I can't see any way of making it work, especially with the oiler drive washer installed.

I do have the Super back together and running, and it sounds and feels pretty good, though I can't really rev it up much without a clutch or bar. I took the base gasket out and it still has about .030" squish. While I had it apart I smoothed out the case-to-cylinder transfer notches (whatever you call them) in the base of the cylinder. They were very square-ish and had some sharp edges, so I just tried to smooth them out and match them to the case a bit better. I left the actual transfers alone though; I have no idea what, if any, modifications should be made on these cylinders with both ports on the same side. I also widened the exhaust a fair bit, and tried to port match the muffler, though that isn't entirely possible due to its design. I'm trying to think of a way of opening the muffler up a bit since I think the Super could really benefit from that, but it'll have to be where the existing opening is due to the muffler cover cage's design.

The front bar stud's mounting hole is also stripped, so I have to run downtown tomorrow to try to find a heavy-duty thread repair insert. A Helicoil ain't gonna cut it on this one. Once I get that and the clutch figured out, I can throw a bar & chain on it and give it a run. I'm anxious to see how it'll do against my 371.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back