041 Issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A single ring on a Stihl saw? All the Stihl saws I've seen, including a 041 Super, all had two rings. Is that an original Mahle piston? If so, it will be cast into the inside of the piston I believe.

yep some were made with only one ring
if fact i have two of them

Single ring is not that unusual.My 041FB and an 011 are both single's.
Some people will use a ball hone on cylinders.Myself I'm afraid of going through the coating. I usually just hit everything with some 400 grit.Make sure you clean out the ring landing real good.

Well, the saw is back together. I stopped by the local stihl dealer, bought a base gasket and a carb kit. The ring would have taken a week to get in so I went out and bought a compression tester and put the old ring back in it. I cleaned up the ring groove, and came out with 150 cold, 140 hot. It pops here and there, I need to get the carb set right. Idles nicely, seems to have more power. I went to check the points, and I believe it has the electronic ignition in it. Anyhow, thanks for those who helped.

ITS ALIVE!!! I went out and bought an electronic ignition for the saw to replace the points and condensor. It runs excellent. Makes my 025 feel like a toy. Anyhow once again thanks!

Latest posts

Back