041 No Start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought this Stihl 041 last week hoping I could get it to run and so far I haven't. It has over 150 compression, gobs of spark but won't hit a lick even when you put fuel directly in the carb or spark plug hole. All it seems to do is wet the plug and doesn't even pop. I cleaned the carb today and checked the fuel lines and impulse line which were all okay. Any ideas?

Maybe the 041 has a heavy flywheel which would make it easier to shear the key. I'll tear into it some more tomorrow if I have time. I wonder if I can pull that sucker without the proper tool. I think Stihl makes a puller for these.

If that's the problem, once you take the nut off, the flywheel will fall off.

Iv had the same problems with a remington sl10 (in john deer colors) getting spark, wet plug, 125lbs of compression, and yes I checked the flywheel key. But nothing?

Iv had the same problems with a remington sl10 (in john deer colors) getting spark, wet plug, 125lbs of compression, and yes I checked the flywheel key. But nothing?

Another thing to check, which I already checked on mine is the input lever on the carb. If it's too high it will flood the engine. Unfortunately mine was in good shape. I cleaned the carb anyway put it back together and still the same flooding. I'm going out now to jerk the flywheel and see if it has a key in there.

Well, despite what I might have thought, this flywheel isn't gonna come off without a puller which I just ordered. I'll set this unit aside for several days while I wait for the new puller to come in. Too bad I couldn't use my old Suzuki puller to get it off with but the Suzuki puller is too big. I imagine this means the key is probably okay also.

Pull the flywheel and check the key.

I pulled the flywheel this morning. The key was just fine. I'm reluctant to check the seals at this time because I have a suspicion that it's still a timing issue. Fuel does make it to the upper cylinder, just doesn't fire it. I used to have an old truck that had good compression, fuel and spark but wouldn't run...turned out to be an open condenser. If it was a shorted condenser you'd have no fire at all, but I was informed that an open condenser would still give you spark but it would be at the wrong time, so I guess I'll check the condenser next or just replace the points with one of those "eliminator chips."

Back