041 still not running right

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noodlewalker

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
i have completely rebuilt this thing.... the saw starts right up and runs, just runs like crap. I saw a vid on you tube of a 031 that was running exactly the way my041 is. when you pull the throttle it just dogs way down.. I can see the fuel dumping through the carb, so it is obviously flooding, so I adjust the screws and no real response either way. the guy with the 031 changed out his condenser on the ignition and the 2nd vid shows it running perfectly... I just put a new points ignition and flywheel on it, so my question is this.. is there an adjustment on the ignition I can make to help the timing, or should I just buy another condenser and hope that is my problem as well??

Did you gap the points? Lots of spark? Presure test carb? Is the coil gapped. New spark plug

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

.016 gap between points and magnet on flywheel correct? then the flywheel has to be in place to adjust it? how do I accomplish this??

ok. whats the trick to setting the gap then, there is still a flywheel to work around. the points are underneath it on the stator plate

To gap the points take flywheel off. You will have to rotate crank till points open then loosen screw and adjust. I use a buaynesscard which should be close to the .016 mentioned above. Then retighten screw

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

No don't remove the flywheel that's wrong. U adjust them by loosening the points through the window with a screwdriver then use a feeler gauge and gap them.

ok now im confused... if the gap is between the magnet ( which is on the flywheel) and the points (which is under the flywheel) where do I put the business card to make the adjustment:confused:

ok. thanks guys, I will give it a go tomorrow. if the point gap is good I think I will just order a new condenser and point set. I appreciate your time and your help.

According to your original post mentioning flooding, the carb although new, may be not be sealing at the needle valve for some reason. It wouldn't be the first brand new carb that failed I've seen. :angry: Did you pressure check it?

Back