041 super

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joel D'Angelo

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey, I got a line on a nice 041 Super AV for $100. Needs hopefully only a carb kit. I'm not trying to flip this saw but use it. I don't cut often so a vintage saw with good AV suits me. Also considering a 65cc Partner. WHat do you guys think?

Those old stihl saws have chrome bores that seem to never wear out when treated properly. If you can handle its weight and its chain speed I would get the stihl.
This past year I was given a 041 farm boss that was hung on a wall in a barn untouched for more than 20 years because it lost spark. I disassembled it, cleaned it(entire cylinder was caked solid!) and replaced the piston rings, carb, gaskets, coil, points and condenser. Sucker takes 6-7 pulls to start after sitting a few days but it will run a 20" bar all day long if you keep feeding it oil/fuel. Its engine makes a beautiful unique exhaust tone/note!

The partner is online, the Stihl is local. Both are $100. The Partner is def a more modern saw. This one has low compression though so I am going to have to find a ring and go through it. AV's?, air cleaner? it gets difficult. How is the anti vibe on the 041's?

The partner is online, the Stihl is local. Both are $100. The Partner is def a more modern saw. This one has low compression though so I am going to have to find a ring and go through it. AV's?, air cleaner? it gets difficult. How is the anti vibe on the 041's?
Get the Stihl, the anti vibe is not the greatest compared to a more modern saw but parts are more easily found for them, there were so many 041`s made .The Super is much more powerful than the regular FB and 041AV. You could sell the Stihl for 3 times the price if interested.

Thank you for the responses. I don't have a BC for the Stihl plus I really want a Partner. The one on the bay only has 135 psi and the muffler is fudged. Seals unknown. Not worth $115 to me. That said, I am upping my offer to you guys. $125 pho to me in CT 06085. Needing a 65cc Partner with 140 plus psi, good av's, and a good air cleaner. Thanks

Hope you can find one, they were really good saws back in the day, I had a P70 and a 7000 that I worked with on big power line clearing jobs, they would slay trees but today parts are getting scarce for them.

$100 for an 041 super is about 1/3 the price of what they go for around here. That extra 11cc over the AV model costs $. But honestly, I'd probably grab both. So long as my wife isn't looking.

Latest posts

Back