041 vs. 044

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peacock

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I've recently had the oppurtunity to use both of these saws some, along with my 441. I was really impressed with the 041(A/V) while I was cutting up a 29 inch osage orange tree. It wasn't as fast as the others, due to slower revs, but was more fun due to the fact that it was a real workhorse. I would just dig it in and let it eat.

I realize that it is ~61cc and supposedly 5.5hp, but it felt like more. The saw in question is 33yrs old and all original.

How much more power, if any, did the Super offer? I've thought about adding one to the stable and was wondering what the differences are.

It's not 5.5hp... the 051 has 89CC and is "only" 5.8hp

The 041 Super was 72cc and 3.7hp. The 041G was 61cc and 3.6hp.. I don't have the HP rating for the 041AV (61cc) at my finger tips.

Hmmm, I would have thought the Super was more than that (my data is from Stihl spreadsheet), but...

Last edited:
I've heard 5.5 for the regular a/v model. It shows that on acres site. Also shows 3.7 for the super. Could that be kw?

Any other differences to the super?

Thanks btw...

I've heard 5.5 for the regular a/v model. It shows that on acres site. Also shows 3.7 for the super. Could that be kw?

Any other differences to the super?

Thanks btw...

Nope, the 5.5 hp shown there is SAE hp, doesn't compare to todays hp at all......:blob2: :blob2:

I have seen the 090 rated at both 13 and 15 SAE hp, but it is "only" 8.5 to 9 "real"/modern hp......

Last edited:
I don't know about the HP rating, but they do have some grunt
to them and I like the sound they make ;) ...........just don't like
the hand numbing.........What are you going to do with the hedge?

Try a Jreds 621 instead - much nicer saw, a lot lighter, and about the same age.....:yoyo: :yoyo: :rockn: :rockn:

No problems with numb hands here. Does feel a little 'funny' compared to the 441 though.:hmm3grin2orange: I agree on the sound. Real throaty and deep.

That male hedge tree will look real good cut up on my pile!

I had never seen a hedge tree without thorns or hedge apples. According to a local DNR buddy the male trees have neither.

Try a Jreds 621 instead - much nicer saw, a lot lighter, and about the same age.....:yoyo: :yoyo: :rockn: :rockn:

How much lighter? This thing didn't feel any heavier than the 044 or 441. All had 20" bars. Actually felt a little more balanced on it's side.

How much lighter? This thing didn't feel any heavier than the 044 or 441. All had 20" bars. Actually felt a little more balanced on it's side.

About two pounds lighter as I recall it, and the Jreds 621 has an anti-vibe system that actually works - that model was pretty much state of the art when introduced in 1970, Nikasil coated cylinder also.....:blob2: :blob2:

Last edited:
No problems with numb hands here. Does feel a little 'funny' compared to the 441 though.:hmm3grin2orange: I agree on the sound. Real throaty and deep.

That male hedge tree will look real good cut up on my pile!

I had never seen a hedge tree without thorns or hedge apples. According to a local DNR buddy the male trees have neither.

Well I need to back up, I have a 041 Farm Boss (no AV)

I have some hedge, the ones with thorns are mean and it makes
good post and fire wood.

Stihl 041S

Peacock;

I bought an 041S AVE about 8 years ago and haven't had any problems. Heat with wood in a drafty house, help other people drop problem trees.......

After Hurricane Ivan I had either a 28 skip or 24 full chisel, didnt seem to make much difference.

Last summer I bought a 041 cheap because "it just dont run right". Great, if its wounded, I could get a 041S P&C , see if I could find some of those new fangled -026anti-bucking plates-(actually, I want some Titanium ones!!!).

While I was rebuilding it I was going to make a SS (maybe titanium) full wrap, just you know, Kustom.

There was no flocking on the air filter, so after a new one , fresh premix, dust and clean, open the needle a little to flush the gunk, the damn thing runs great, hunkers down and works.

Till your post I was trying to rationalise, some thing to do, in my own twisted way.

I know there is an unknown use factor, but after I get the SS washers for the grinders done, and Releif in Ol Miss. I'll Have my saw guy tune then both, get a straight chunk of Locust, check their temps and see the difference.

Still gonna do the Full Wrap!!
Rob

Peacock;

I bought an 041S AVE about 8 years ago and haven't had any problems. Heat with wood in a drafty house, help other people drop problem trees.......

After Hurricane Ivan I had either a 28 skip or 24 full chisel, didnt seem to make much difference.

Last summer I bought a 041 cheap because "it just dont run right". Great, if its wounded, I could get a 041S P&C , see if I could find some of those new fangled -026anti-bucking plates-(actually, I want some Titanium ones!!!).

While I was rebuilding it I was going to make a SS (maybe titanium) full wrap, just you know, Kustom.

There was no flocking on the air filter, so after a new one , fresh premix, dust and clean, open the needle a little to flush the gunk, the damn thing runs great, hunkers down and works.

Till your post I was trying to rationalise, some thing to do, in my own twisted way.

I know there is an unknown use factor, but after I get the SS washers for the grinders done, and Releif in Ol Miss. I'll Have my saw guy tune then both, get a straight chunk of Locust, check their temps and see the difference.

Still gonna do the Full Wrap!!
Rob

Sounds like a sweet saw!:bowdown:

I'd like to build a super or a/v in the future. Yours does handle a 24" fine? This one has only ever had a 20" on it and it rips with that.

I have an 041AV Electronic. Love that sound. It just sounds like "work me". It is my main falling and big bucking saw. I use it on anything that is over about 26-30".

I have a 24" bar on it and it hauls just fine. I do believe a 28" would also work.

If only I could tie some helium baloons to it. I swear it gains 2 pounds everytime I pick it up.

Unknown use? I bought it used about 6 years ago. Two years ago I put new loops on and is my wont, I asked him to change the sprocket. Good choice. It was worn so much that in places you could see daylight through spots on the worn groove. Decided to replace it with a rim sprocket.

Harry K

24 on a 041S

In Florida, I got the skip cause I got a deal on the 28 bar and did't know what I would get into in Florida.

Spreading Oaks 4 feet across.

I'll have to find a real beast of a tree to find the difference. Maybe a movie to check time ?

Rob

In Florida, I got the skip cause I got a deal on the 28 bar and did't know what I would get into in Florida.

Spreading Oaks 4 feet across.

I'll have to find a real beast of a tree to find the difference. Maybe a movie to check time ?

Rob

Sounds good. Would love to just hear it!:clap:

Back