Great deal turned into oops

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turd Furgeson

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Does anybody else see what they want to see sometimes?

I was running up by a relatives place and was already running late when I passed a rummage sale that actually looked like it had decent stuff. I spied a bright orange saw case so I stopped. Inside I took a quick look and saw what looked to be a new husky saw. I flipped it over and thought I read 455 xtorq. So I quickly browsed some more and went back to the saw. I pulled it out of the case and it fired up on the 2nd pull and sounded great. The bar had only one scuff and there was no scratches on the saw. The lady said her husband used it twice and wants a Stihl saw so is selling this one. I figured a 455 would fit in well between my 40cc ryobi redmax clone and my 79cc makita as I'm just a weekend warrior.

They had 235 on it and I offered 200 and had to come up to 225 as they just opened the sale and he was sure he could get at least that out of it. I threw it in the car and ran up to the relatives. I got back from running and took a closer look at the saw. My heart dropped when it realized it was a 445 not a 455. Then I started digging around in the paper work in the case and found out that the oiler had been replaced. Not a good sign after 2 uses. I pulled the bar and chain and clutch cover off as the B&C was dry. There just a dribble of oil in the tank so I filled that up and fired it up. The oil seemed to be coming out at the proper rate so I shouldn't have to worry about that. Although the stupid clutch came flying off after a couple revs which might be a good thing as the needle bearing was pretty dry.

It looks like on the husky saws you just spin it on and give it a tap and it should self tighten with use, is that correct? Should I pull the plug and shove some string down there or would revving it against the chain brake seat it?

So my great deal probably wasn't that great at all. I probably paid the same price as I would have if I bought a refurb 445 and a new case. I hope the saw works well for me. I'm not sure if it's much of an upgrade or any at all over the little muffler modded Ryobi which still impresses me for an 80 dollar ebay find.

I once saw a Stihl 041 on a discount table at a pawn shop for $40. I stopped to check it out and for some reason I turned the saw over to find a 2" hole in the bottom of the case. It pays to do your homework.

Thanks for the info on the clutch. It worked great. I put the saw back together with some fresh grease. Filled it up with fresh non ethanol gas an synthetic mix and cut for a few hours this afternoon.

I think my oops ended up working out. The saw handles the 18" bar better than my ryobi, I'll use all my 18" stuff on this saw and use the 16" bar on the Ryobi and save the makita for the big stuff. The only thing I'm not a big fan of on this saw is the single bar nut, other than that it seemed to cut great, it's pretty light, and cuts smooth. It starts on the 2nd pull every time.

I wish I would have got it for less. I actually should have just bought the bare saw as for some reason they only wanted $175 for it alone and originally wanted an extra $65 for the case but with haggling down I didn't know if saving $25 was worth the hassle of running to northern tools to pick up a case.

Thanks for the info on the clutch. It worked great. I put the saw back together with some fresh grease on the bearing, filled it up with fresh non ethanol gas an synthetic mix ,and cut for a few hours this afternoon.

I had done my homework before. I thought a 455 would be a good replacement for my Jonsered 535 but I didn't want to spend the coin on a new or refurb unit and case. I think my oops ended up working out. The saw handles the 18" bar better than my ryobi, I'll use all my 18" stuff I already have purchased on this saw and use the 16" bar on the Ryobi and save the makita for the big stuff. The only thing I'm not a big fan of on this saw is the single bar nut, other than that it seemed to cut great, it's pretty light, and cuts smooth. It starts on the 2nd pull every time. The weight savings over the 455 is nice and I'm sure it sips a bit less fuel as well.

I wish I would have got it for less. I actually should have just bought the bare saw as for some reason they only wanted $175 for it alone and originally wanted an extra $65 for the case but with haggling down I didn't know if saving $50 was worth the hassle of running to northern tools to get their $30 case.

You win some you lose some, and sometimes it works out. My Ryobi was $80 shipped from eBay. My Makita was $160 from HD, it ended up spitting out the spark plug the first time out as somebody had stripped the threads, I took the saw back just to see what they could do and they put a new top end on it. I even talked them into ordering the 7900 parts as they were the same prices as the 6400 parts. So for $465 I have three decent saws that should do everything i need them to.

Do a mm on it and run it. Just tell yourself you did ok on the saw and overspent on a case.

Little steep but sounds like it worked out and you got a decent saw

Little steep but sounds like it worked out and you got a decent saw

Agreed. You weren't hurt paying that price for it. It's not like it didn't run or had a scored piston.

I got this for 40 bucks thought it was a 20cc but turned out it is a 15cc engine and runs. Cheepest they are on craigslist and ebay is 400 up to 600 needs the carb cleaned and new fuel line. Recommended mix ratio is 25:1. I found gold1429643627860.jpg

Back