Oil Test 32:1 vs 40:1 vs 50:1 - Results & Info condensed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this 661 was broken in and run on h1r. 42:1 This is approx 9-10 tanks.

exhaust port - slight brownish but still transparent discoloration

top of piston - very very thin layer...hard to see exactly. There is a difference where the transfers are

my only concern is the area just above the top ring (between piston top and top ring) - some brown.

2kiruw.jpg

2po751t.jpg

2lt37s.jpg

99pcae.jpg

2e678ud.jpg

20aqamw.jpg

2zovotl.jpg
Your exhaust port roof shows a lot of buildup for so little run time and you are painting the inside of your muffler with unburnt oil. The area above the top ring shows a lot of buildup for such little run time as well. Should look just like the piston pic I posted if you ever run it enough.

Keep in mind this is an open forum and if you wanted to keep unwanted post out you should have waited to publish the thread. They are not obligate to delete their posts but you can ask.
EXACTLY! That's why I suggested locking the other thread, not deleting it. Most all of the discussion was futile, if not actually misleading, until additional oils were tested. I fully support the end goal here.

Is there another way to load the saw for testing without having to buy 20 rolls of chain ? Like rigging a saw to a boat prop in water ,water being the load off the prop ? seems like it would be more consistant ,and a longer load to get deposits to show up like a long cut milling would do ? Or would this not work ?

Is there another way to load the saw for testing without having to buy 20 rolls of chain ? Like rigging a saw to a boat prop in water ,water being the load off the prop ? seems like it would be more consistant ,and a longer load to get deposits to show up like a long cut milling would do ? Or would this not work ?
I think it would work fine. Of course if you had a dyno it would be the same concept.

You could connect to an airplane propeller! And run it at 6000 RPM for three hours!

If one wants to determine which oil is the "best" one has to test ALL oils. Double blind test where someone else mixes the oil and fuel at predetermined ratios. The test is run on a calibrated dyno that maintains calibration throughout the cycle of testing. Determine the parameters of the test. Run the saws full out for a length of time equal to what someone milling would do. Run the saws from idle up to full load for a shorter length of time as someone would do if they were felling and limbing. Repeat these cycles to the point of failure so that one could determine how that mix at that ratio protects in the long run. Note the horsepower output so that it can be determined how the mix relates to this result. Once all the testing is done then you can identify which oil at which ratio did what. That way it cannot be said that preconceived notions colored the results. Because everyone has different ideas of what is "best" the results of each aspect of the test should be given so that each person can determine what is "best" for their purposes. After all the results are in, THEN you you can contact the manufacturers to comment on your results.

I applaud redbull660 for taking the time to do testing. It was limited testing. I took it for what it was worth. SOME of the questions and conclusions could be valid. Some of the sweeping conclusions could not be validly made from the limited testing. He should have expected questions and doubt. This is a forum. A FORUM. On the web.

looking forward to the replys you got from Motul about the 800 off road , going to try that one .

Latest posts

Back