041 Won't go fast when hot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moonshiner

Reaction score
I have a Stihl 041AV that runs good for the first 2 or 3 cuts then will not run over an idle. If I shut it off for a couple minutes, it will start and rev normal for 1 cut, as soon as it idles back down, it won't rev up again. I rebuilt the carb but that didn't fix it. Any ideas?

MS,
Sounds to me like a clogged gas filter. Possibly a kinked gas line.Maybe a hole in the gas line.Posssible ignition coil problem. How about the gas tank vent being plugged? If the trouble persists, simply loosen the gas cap and Try to restart! My 041 is a real screamer, Ken

I had tried loosening the cap then ran with the air cleaner off (not cutting) and can see that it is getting plenty of gas, it just won't speed up.

sluggish

Start with vent, fuel filter, check hose, screen incarb, dirt in carb, dirt on top of metering diaphragm. Also, if 2 welch plugs on metering side of carb, remove smaller one and check screen.
If all checks OK, look at points and condensor. Check spark with somethinf that has over a 1/4 inch gap. Should be blue and bright. If any question, replace with aftermarket module. After that, it is a coil.

Stihltech

Does this have points/condenser, it's a 041AV electronic? I don't have a puller to look under flywheel but don't see any points through the openings in it. I've checked the fuel filter and line and the screens and all ports in carb when I rebuilt it. Also checked the pulse (black) hose from crankcase per the dealer.

Latest posts

Back