044, 044 magnum and MS440 What's the difference?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Otto

Reaction score
I am wondering what the difference is between a 044, 044 magnum and MS440 chainsaw? I can find quite a bit of info on a 044 and MS440 but very little on the 044 magnum. Unfortunately I have already purchased a 044 magnum. I should have asked this question first. I have already built one cabin but purchased the logs three sided. Now I want to try to cut them myself. I know a 044 magnum is probably a little small for a 36” chainsaw mill but I’m not production milling or cutting, only cutting the logs for another cabin or two. I wanted to have a saw that I could also use for fire wood and just around the property I own after I got done with it. I would appreciate any specifications on the 044 magnum. Thanks Otto.

I have a 044 I have run a 32" bar on mine in big wood, and had no problems. Never tried a 36". My friend has one with a 36 on it says it pulls it fine you just cant dog it in to hard. Not quite sure the differences in all the models you spoke of in the 44. I dont know if there is that much difference. From what the dealer told me about the ms series is Stihl just changed from o series, and magnum to ms he said they were the same as the ms. I think the magnums had upgraded carbs, and compression release. To me it seems like you get more rpm out of the slightly older ones. Pre EPA garbage in the carbs.

To ad to that I forgot to say, in my opionion the 44 is a little small to constantly run a 36" bar for milling a little small unless small logs. Most my saw buddies I have talked with about the bar max size say you can always pull a bigger bar youre saw might not last as long, and I would think milling would wear out any saw faster.

This was talked about a while back. There is so much 44 info on here. It all came down to wrist pins, porting, decomp valves. Do a search for "044, wrist pin" on this site, and that thread should pop up in there somewhere. But the newer 044 do have more hp than the originals. I've got the Stihl tech bulletin that describes the changes in detail, complete with part number and serial numbers. It's all discussed in the earlier thread.

And the 044 is a bit small for milling, but it works. Take it easy and give it the time it needs. I would say that if you're going to be at it for a while you might even look at picking up a good used 066. It'll make your work alot easier.

Welcome to the site. I see you're in Fairbanks. I was in Kodiak before I came down here with the CG. I can't wait to get back to the state that I love.

Jeff

Thanks for the help. I'll give it a a shot on the mill and hope for the best. Jeff I can't wait to get back home myself, 8 more months in IRAQ.

Latest posts

Back