044 10mm KS Cylinder Question/Opinion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooby533

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I picked this cylinder up today for 20$. I did not notice the insert at the garage sale until i got home and cleaned it up. The insert protrudes down into the combustion chamber pretty good. I’ve never ran a saw with an insert, never needed to. I figure I’ll have to take the crush washer off the plug to to get it to sit down in the cylinder as close to stock as possible. Thoughts?
I’m actually thinking of removing the insert and machining off .080” or so.
Otherwise, it’s an early 10mm KS cylinder that should run well.

Most likely it was thread locked in.

Not sure what I would do.
Possibly try to screw it in with a plug and unscrew it and put in a shorter insert with thread lock.

That looks like a Stanley repair bushing. I’d try to take it out and replace it with the shorter height one.

It being proud to the outside surface presents a problem, the plug won’t seal.

I bet heating it torch would make removal fairly easy.

It may be the pic, but your exhaust port area looks chewed up.

I'd see how the plug sealing washer matches up with the insert flange. It might seal fine. If so might need a new washer each time you install a plug.

One other thought, you might be able to use a large shim washer between plug and insert to get a seal.

I'd see if cylinder cleans up before invest time/money on insert

Astute observation on the exhaust! Yeah, it looks like the ceiling of the exhaust port had a challenge at some point. The cylinder isn’t scored, can’t catch a razor on anything, the pictures are difficult, looks scored but is not.
Yes, garage sale. The saw was for sale as well, but it was rough. Guy had all kinds of Stihl stuff, 041, 029 super, 009L.....couple first gen concrete saws.
I figure I’ll attempt to get the insert out, still have no idea how then I’ll look at cleaning the ports up.
I may run a scotchbrite buff to the cylinder after I’m done, but want to check compression with a new piston and rings prior. It’s going onto an early non comp release MS440 that needs a cylinder & piston. So far, I’ve got 20$ into this project. Saw parts were given to me.

Clean up cylinder first.

DO NOT put rings/piston into a cylinder with transfer and/or damaged ex port, or waste time on a cylinder that might be scrap aluminum.

Get the transfer off, check for scores/missing nikasil, examine ex port and it's chamfers.

Heated cylinder and was able to remove the insert. Bonus; I did not ruin anything. Now to look at Time-Sert to get the counterbore. I’m still concerned with how much will protrude into the cylinder.
No transfer. No scoring. No Nikasil missing or flaking. Exhaust port chamfer will need blended. I feel the cylinder is absolutely useable with a proper insert. Let me see if I can get better pix.
I do appreciate the input all! Thank you.

Mad Professor, it’s my first CJ, 85’ CJ7. I’ve now got an ‘86 CJ7. I’m on Jeep Forum under the same username.
I’ve never driven a ‘60s Willy’s bit I’ve worked on plenty. My uncle has a 70 M38A1 that I’ve done a lot to.

Back