044 air filter Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyler Shelton

Reaction score
Long time forum viewer but first time posting. I get alot of helpful information from this forum.
I recently rebiult a Stihl 024 super as a 026 and traded to a guy for a Stihl 044. The saw runs but needs a tune up. The air filter was in terrible shape and needs replaced. I ordered a cheap kit offline that came with a carb, filter, plugs, ect. The air filter was slightly larger on the cover side and it wouldnt fit into the groove on the cover so I couldn't tighten the cover down. I decided to order a kit off ebay that came with a filter and all the covers for an 044 or ms440. The filter that they sent is the same as the other I received and does not fit in the grooves on the cover they sent. The cover they sent is the same one I have on the saw. The first picture is the new one setting in the cover and the last is the old one setting in the cover. Im trying to figure out what filter I need as I dont think they make the one that was in it anymore. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• 20190214_144906.jpg
    20190214_144906.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 16
  • 20190217_094325.jpg
    20190217_094325.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 15
  • 20190217_094352.jpg
    20190217_094352.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 15
Not sure exactly what’s going on there but you’re right that they don’t make that metal filter anymore. If it were me, I’d set the new filter squarely over the intake, centering it on the base for the filter. Then install the cover over it and screw down the knob pretty good. Remove the cover and inspect the new filter to see where the ridges in the cover contact the filter. If it’s even contact all around, run it. It fits, just not exactly like the old one did, maybe? Good luck!

Long time forum viewer but first time posting. I get alot of helpful information from this forum.
I recently rebiult a Stihl 024 super as a 026 and traded to a guy for a Stihl 044. The saw runs but needs a tune up. The air filter was in terrible shape and needs replaced. I ordered a cheap kit offline that came with a carb, filter, plugs, ect. The air filter was slightly larger on the cover side and it wouldnt fit into the groove on the cover so I couldn't tighten the cover down. I decided to order a kit off ebay that came with a filter and all the covers for an 044 or ms440. The filter that they sent is the same as the other I received and does not fit in the grooves on the cover they sent. The cover they sent is the same one I have on the saw. The first picture is the new one setting in the cover and the last is the old one setting in the cover. Im trying to figure out what filter I need as I dont think they make the one that was in it anymore. Any help is appreciated.
Welcome to AS Tyler. i have never been a fan of AM filters. i know OEM a a bit more expensive. Take your cover/saw to a good stihl dealer and see what they have in stock that might have a better fit. good luck.

Back