044 Big bore dies after 6 cuts. SOB

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bushmans

Bushmans

Smoke Dragon Herder
Hey guys,
Been awhile since I was on the chainsaw forum but then again I don't use my saws much in the summer.

Thursday I pulled the saws off the shelf, fueled and oiled them, sharpened the chains real nice and test ran them on some stumps in the backyard. My 029 ran fine as expected. (It just came back from deer camp and had performed flawlessly).
My 044 that I rebuilt last winter sat on the shelf all summer.
The 044 fired within 5 pulls and I cut three cookies off the backyard stump. Everything appeared to be in order.

Loaded 'em up this morning and headed for the woods. Let the 029 sit in the truck while me and the 044 went for a walk.
Picked a nice 18 sugar maple and let her eat. I smiled as the 044BB went through it like a hot knife through butter. Never once stuttered or complained if I leaned on it a little. Man was I glad to have this saw, I thought to myself.
I cut about 6 rounds or so and after the last cut I lifted the saw up to move down the log and it just quit. No blubbering like it was running out of fuel or anything abnormal, just quit.

I pulled it a few times and all I could smell was fuel. Flooded I presumed. Walked back to the truck and pulled the plug and air cleaner to let it air out. Pulled it afew more times and the darn pullcord broke.

I finished my cutting with the 029 and headed home. Once home I put the 044 on the bench, now really smelling like fuel and dripping occasionally.
Pulled the carb and the exhaust and emptied the excess fuel from the cylinder. I noticed some sawdust laying around the carb inlet. The air cleaner just doesn't seem to keep it clean enough.

Well I think my carb needs a rebuild. I never did it when I rebuilt it. Just cleaned it and it worked fine so I left it alone. I think my metering valve is stuck. Probably sucked in some dust or something.

Any ideas?
Any ideas on a better air filtration. It is the standard oval screen with the foam on the inside of it.
Do they make a prefilter that goes around the air filter?

I haven't got that many hours on it since the rebuild but I checked both sides of the Piston and she looks good.

Thanks for any advice!

Bushmans

Bushmans

Smoke Dragon Herder
Two things I have just discovered.
The new airfilter I ordered last year during the rebuild did not have a pre filter and it looks as though there is supposed to be a rubber gasket on the plastic air filter housing so the air filter can squish against it.

View attachment 270119

I'll have to hunt one down or just order another filter I guess.

View attachment 270120
you can see the black on the orange. Mine doesn't have this.

Bushmans

Bushmans

Smoke Dragon Herder
:popcorn:

No advice, I just want to follow the thread. Good luck getting it operational again.

Thanks flash!
Here is a link to the original rebuild.
http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/195138.htm

I reread it and seems as though I questioned the pre filter back then too. DOH!
I had also talked about putting a carb kit in it. Looks like talked was the operative word. Live and learn i guess!

Bushmans

Bushmans

Smoke Dragon Herder
Just ordered a carb kit and a pre filter.
Not sure on the rubber seal. After reading up, some are supposed to have it while others are not.
It appears my air filter is pressing up tight to the body.
I will remove and wash and re-oil my interior foam.

Toad22t

Toad22t

Addicted to ArboristSite
I'm not sure if you should oil it. I have heard bad things like with the k and n's and others with oiling due to collecting to much. You do what you do but you may wanna ask around a little more on that. Just my .02

Bushmans

Bushmans

Smoke Dragon Herder
Here is my 044 bb. I don't have the rubber gasket on mine but the filter sits down in the groove. This does say it is the HD system though.View attachment 270123View attachment 270124View attachment 270125

Thanks Toad!
Mine looks the same though no HD. I will try again with the improvements and go from there.
The last thing I want is to be sucking crap into the intake after all the time and money spent repairing that from the first lad!
Rep sent for taking the time to send pics.

Toad22t

Toad22t

Addicted to ArboristSite
I'm glad i could help give some guidance. Had to do the same with mine due to a carb nut getting below the piston. Made mine a big bore also but 2 weeks later received 2 046 p/c. Duoh lol

Trx250r180

Trx250r180

Saw polisher
you dont need that rubber gasket ,it was only the very early 044 10mm saws that used it ,the filter looked similar to a k&n or automotive type back then ,they werent as tall as the reg hd filter either so that gasket was needed for spacing

Bushmans

Bushmans

Smoke Dragon Herder
you dont need that rubber gasket ,it was only the very early 044 10mm saws that used it ,the filter looked similar to a k&n or automotive type back then ,they werent as tall as the reg hd filter either so that gasket was needed for spacing

Thanks TRX.
You saved me some research.
My parts are on their way and soon she will be up and running again.

Scooterbum

Scooterbum

Addicted to ArboristSite
From the way you described how it stopped I'm surprised no one suggested checking the coil.
Take it and run it again and after it shuts down immediately check for spark. You may have a bad coil.

Bushmans

Bushmans

Smoke Dragon Herder
Carb kit and pre filter showed up yesterday so I did a little work this morning while the rest of the family slept in and now that everyone is awake I went outside and fired her up. Started on 4th pull.
Re-tuned it and cut a couple cookies and she seems to run fine.
I will find out for sure about the coil later when I hit the woods. I have a 20 inch ash tree on the ground that is about 20 feet long. All straight trunk. That should be enough to get her good and hot!

View attachment 270875

View attachment 270876

sachsmo

sachsmo

Addicted to ArboristSite
Hey guys,
Been awhile since I was on the chainsaw forum but then again I don't use my saws much in the summer.

Thursday I pulled the saws off the shelf, fueled and oiled them, sharpened the chains real nice and test ran them on some stumps in the backyard. My 029 ran fine as expected. (It just came back from deer camp and had performed flawlessly).
My 044 that I rebuilt last winter sat on the shelf all summer.
The 044 fired within 5 pulls and I cut three cookies off the backyard stump. Everything appeared to be in order.

Loaded 'em up this morning and headed for the woods. Let the 029 sit in the truck while me and the 044 went for a walk.
Picked a nice 18 sugar maple and let her eat. I smiled as the 044BB went through it like a hot knife through butter. Never once stuttered or complained if I leaned on it a little. Man was I glad to have this saw, I thought to myself.
I cut about 6 rounds or so and after the last cut I lifted the saw up to move down the log and it just quit. No blubbering like it was running out of fuel or anything abnormal, just quit.

I pulled it a few times and all I could smell was fuel. Flooded I presumed. Walked back to the truck and pulled the plug and air cleaner to let it air out. Pulled it afew more times and the darn pullcord broke.

I finished my cutting with the 029 and headed home. Once home I put the 044 on the bench, now really smelling like fuel and dripping occasionally.
Pulled the carb and the exhaust and emptied the excess fuel from the cylinder. I noticed some sawdust laying around the carb inlet. The air cleaner just doesn't seem to keep it clean enough.

Well I think my carb needs a rebuild. I never did it when I rebuilt it. Just cleaned it and it worked fine so I left it alone. I think my metering valve is stuck. Probably sucked in some dust or something.

Any ideas?
Any ideas on a better air filtration. It is the standard oval screen with the foam on the inside of it.
Do they make a prefilter that goes around the air filter?

I haven't got that many hours on it since the rebuild but I checked both sides of the Piston and she looks good.

Thanks for any advice!

"Found your problem, it was out of gas MmmmmmmmmHmmmmmmmm"

Latest posts