044 Big bore dies after 6 cuts. SOB

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bushmans

Bushmans

Smoke Dragon Herder
"Found your problem, it was out of gas MmmmmmmmmHmmmmmmmm"

LOL
I won't fall for that (again)
No, that was the first thing I checked and the second was that the filter hadn't flipped inside the "womb".

The carb was pretty dirty even after just rebuilding the entire thing. The little round screen inside the carb was pretty much plugged and had a flake of paint residue stuck in it. The diaphram gasket was pretty darn stiff as well. All brand new now!

I should go hit the woods but after a few days of cutting and hauling my body needs a break. I won't hit the woods unless I bring a load home. 30 mile round trip.

sefh3

sefh3

Addicted to ArboristSite
Carb kit and pre filter showed up yesterday so I did a little work this morning while the rest of the family slept in and now that everyone is awake I went outside and fired her up. Started on 4th pull.
Re-tuned it and cut a couple cookies and she seems to run fine.
I will find out for sure about the coil later when I hit the woods. I have a 20 inch ash tree on the ground that is about 20 feet long. All straight trunk. That should be enough to get her good and hot!

View attachment 270875

View attachment 270876

Hopefully the dates on those pictures are correct. We have 3-4" of snow here and I'm not that far from you. Report back to how it runs. The coils are know to just quit.

Bushmans

Bushmans

Smoke Dragon Herder
Hopefully the dates on those pictures are correct. We have 3-4" of snow here and I'm not that far from you. Report back to how it runs. The coils are know to just quit.

Hey Scott,
Good to "see" ya again.
Those are last years pics. I had to switch computers over the summer and I had to dig these out of my manage attachments file. I was saving that big ash for my 044 this winter.
I will let you know.

longunner

longunner

ArboristSite Lurker
44 big bore

same thing happened to me on my big bore, the rings broke and I pulled the set up and Baileys refunded the cost of the kit. If you lost compression you might have the same style of bad rings.

Bushmans

Bushmans

Smoke Dragon Herder
Well I took it out and ran almost two tanks of fuel through it. Ran like a champ but towards the end it started idling funny. I tried to re-tune it out in the field but she just wouldn't adjust.

Brought it home and checked P&C, checked carb for debris, Re-set screws and started from scratch.
Checked coil/flywheel spacing, checked for sheared keyway. Checked impulse and manifold, checked fuel line and filter. I tore the whole saw back down. It still has great compression, I can hold the saw up by the pull cord and it stays put. I was thinking maybe crank seals are leaking but it would at least run lean if that was the case, besides those were new last winter.
Now it will start with full choke but pops/backfires sometimes and won't stay running for more than a few sconds.

All this after I just sold my back up 029. Now I am sawless.
Very frustrating to put all that time and money into something and just when you think you got it by the cajones it breaks down.

I put it up on ebay with condition stated. Had a local guy offer me $250 and was gonna be here at 5 last night, cash in hand. So I changed my offer on ebay and I took the deal because I am one frustrated cat and $250 was the minimum I needed to get the new saw I have been looking at. He never showed.

So now I'm stuck. Once the listing on ebay runs out I guess I'll have to re-list it again.

I just don't know what in the heck could be wrong with this saw and can not sink any more money into it.
I have to cut my losses. Makes me sick.

sefh3

sefh3

Addicted to ArboristSite
When you rebuilt it, did you replace the crank bearings? If you have a bearing going bad and it has lateral up and down movement sometimes it causes seals to leak. Look closely at the flywheel side bearing and seals. You put a kit in the carb correct? Vac test the carb first then the saw. Your leaning out somewhere.

Latest posts