044 magnum stripped threads

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hosocat

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a 044 magnum in fair shape, but roughly used. Looks beat up, has a slightly scarred piston. But seems to run ok. Will never be a beauty queen. Problem is the threads in the case for all the torx bolts that hold the recoil pull start assembly to the case have been stripped out. Ive never used helicoils, and was just wondering about feasibility of drilling the holes smooth and using a 6 mm tap to rethread, instead of the 5mm that are currently being used. Bad idea?

I have a 044 magnum in fair shape, but roughly used. Looks beat up, has a slightly scarred piston. But seems to run ok. Will never be a beauty queen. Problem is the threads in the case for all the torx bolts that hold the recoil pull start assembly to the case have been stripped out. Ive never used helicoils, and was just wondering about feasibility of drilling the holes smooth and using a 6 mm tap to rethread, instead of the 5mm that are currently being used. Bad idea?
Check to see how well your M6 bolts fit in the recoil cover and how much (if any) customizing will be needed for them to fit. Also, you say all the bolts are stripped - does that include the one securing the brake handle? Modding that to M6 may be more hassle that going the helicoil route.
BTW, Mike makes a point - the 044 originally had M4 bolts in the recoil, switched to M5 in 1992.

Thanks all. It still has the bolt that goes into the brake handle. The other three are stripped out and the bolts are missing. I assumed all four would be the same size. Ill remeasure the surviving bolt. I assumed they were 5mm because that's what the online parts diagram I looked at said. Ill probably go ahead and use inserts, just to try and keep it original. Never tried them before, but I've never used a tap and die either, so I guess its time I learned.

Ill probably go ahead and use inserts, just to try and keep it original. Never tried them before, but I've never used a tap and die either, so I guess its time I learned.
I'd suggest you find a dead chainsaw case or some other chainsaw part to practice on.... If the holes in the 044 case are maxed out you might only get one chance at re-tapping them.

Good luck with it.

Thanks for advice from all. I ended up just tapping the stripped holes to 6mm and installing Allen head bolts. The stripped holes were practically as slick as though I drilled them, so I just ran a 6mm -1.0 tap into the holes. There seemed to be plenty of meat in the crankcase, so I don't think I weakened it any. Seems to hold the recoil cover on strongly now. Will see if it holds up.

I think m6 was the right choice. Some of those inserts would need a bigger hole than that. And it’s way cheaper.

Back