044 Runs Hot and Tough to Start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

West Texas

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I've been working on several Stihl chainsaws for the Conservancy; and, their 044 was dirty and hard to start; and, would not start again once it was hot. Put a Carb rebuild kit in it and opened up the muffler exhaust port; and, it seemed to solve the problem (this was last winter at an elevation of 6500' plus)

Recently the Forest Service used it during a week long fire. The temperatures were around 90+ and they had trouble starting the saw; and, when they shut it off, they could not get it to restart until it cooled off.

I cleaned the saw, checked the carb settings and found the plug to be 'wet' when cranking it cold with a 'full choke.' I cleaned the plug, moved the choke to a modified choke position, cranked it and it sputtered. Moved it to normal run and cranked it and it ran. I did this several times over a few days with no problems. And I assumed that it doesn't need the full choke in hot weather.

Of course there could be a deeper problem with the Carb too, than just replacing the gaskets, jet and resetting the float, jets, etc. Because, once again, its hard to start once you shut it off hot.

Any ideas? Does it need a new carb? Or what?

Tom

I have seen the inlet lever actually wear to a high position, causing the carburetor to leak by.
I would also check the fuel tank vent. Replace the sparkplug also.
Crank seal under flywheel may leak, but that should cause idling problems.

Looks like vapor lock because they have to wait to cool the saw before she starts again.I dont know on this one ,dont they have a "trap" in the big cover to warm the carb in cold weather,maybe its opened.

There is a black circular shut off to prevent the heat from coming in from the motor; and, its in place.

Back